Chapter Six

The next morning, Dawn found another vase of red roses

The next morning, Dawn found another vase of red roses. Then another when she returned home and another until she had vases littered all over the place. She knew exactly who they were from, but she gave no reaction to the increase in his gifts. She merely ignored them after the second day, the only thing that was hard to ignore was the permanent smell of roses. Some of the scent was starting to rub off onto her, when someone at the office asked for her rose perfume.

That was not the only gift she got. When she arrived at the office, there was a box of Swiss chocolate, and a dainty gold bracelet waiting for her in a gold gift bag. There was a note on the back of the Ace of Spades, 'Can I be the one to make a Deal this time?'. Dawn smiled at the note, she had made deals with him and given up her necklace and ring but here he was giving her a bracelet. She put the bracelet on instantly, glad that she had taken up his offer to go to lunch yesterday.

Her Majesty walked past and noticed the bracelet. "Lovely bracelet," she commented. She wanted to say something more but thought it would be better if Gold explained. She remembered the bracelet and knew exactly what it signified to Gold but it wasn't her problem to put her foot in and interfere with so she left Dawn in the dark. She just hoped that Dawn made the right decision and was glad she hadn't fired her yesterday.

Dawn worked hard at work, knowing that she was still on thin ice after that day she had been sent home. She had worked later than usual for a few days, except tonight, when she was supposed to meet Sin. She arrived home and spotted another fresh vase of roses. She checked her bedroom, almost expecting another dress but there was nothing. He would probably call soon, she doubted he had forget about their meeting, after all the effort he put in last week.

Just as she expected, her phone rang with an unknown number again. She answered it, waiting for him to speak. There was a brief silence.

"No hello for me, lucky lady?"

"Oh no, I was just wait for you to let out a stream of instructions." The reply might've seemed as a little docile but there were traces of sarcasm, which Sin noted.

"Mmm, well I will be picking you up a nine, so you'd better get something for dinner, but I'm not sure you stomach will be able to handle what I have planned..."

"No dress this time?" Dawn pushed.

"Nope, just wear jeans." He hung up. He wasn't happy with her but tonight she would remember her place. He couldn't have a pawn disrespecting the King.

Dawn had a light dinner, taking Sin's warning on board. She had no idea what he had planned but it sure wasn't a private dinner like last week. She picked out a plain t-shirt and a pair of old fade jeans, just in case she had to thrown them away. She tied her hair in a high ponytail. Maybe Sin had something bloody planned. She removed the bracelet she got from Gold, not wanting to accidentally ruin in. She could never be too careful with Sin.

She recounted her money and slipped the envelope into the waist of her jeans. The night was far too warm to wear a jacket and she didn't want to take a bag, wherever they were going. She left her place and went to wait for the car. She was early, it was only a matter of time before the car pulled.