Drinking

Knock knock knock the sound of someone knocking on my door rings around the small room as I sit at the dressing table, making two little braids on either side of my head.

“Who is it?” I call.

“Your father” Aragorn replies “The feast is about to start”

“Alright, just give me a moment”

“Don’t take too long”

I take the two braids and join them together at the back of my head with a pin designed to look like a string of ivy intertwined with itself. There are tiny white jewels decorating the smooth green leaves and the stalk has been left silver. I stand and move to the door, opening it to reveal father leaning against the opposite wall. When he sees me he straightens up. “Wow” he says and I smile. I am wearing a dress loaned to me by Éowyn from the royal wardrobe. It is made of light fabric, light green with darker green leaves embroidered on it which started in a cluster on my left shoulder and cascade down until they are scattered all over the skirt with tiny, bright, embroidered flowers dotted among the leaves. The skirt goes to about an inch above my ankles. It has sleeves which go to just above my elbows and a V-neck cut to it so that it shows off a small bit of my chest, closely fitted around my torso before going out into a flowing skirt. I also have a shawl of almost see through, light green fabric which I have wrapped around my arms but not over my shoulders and slip on linen shoes of a similar material to the dress. Around my neck hangs my familiar old necklace and the locket of my parents, both freshly polished.

“You look amazing” father says and I blush.

“Thank you” I say and father offers me his arm.

“May I escort you to the hall?” He asks and I link my arm through his.

“I would love that” I say and we walk towards the hall.

“Tonight we remember those who gave their blood to defend this country. Hail the victorious dead!” Théoden says to the quiet hall and we all raise our cups calling “Hail!” and drinking. People the start to mingle and Aragorn takes my arm, leading me over to where Legolas and Gimli are. Éomer is filling lots of mugs with ale, setting them up on the table in front of him, when we arrive. Legolas’ eyes open wide when he sees me and I smile at him.

“Have fun” Aragorn says, untwining his arm from mine.

“When you tell me to have fun I might end up doing all sorts of crazy things, are you sure you’re ok with that?” I ask.

“I think I can let you go for just one night” he says with a slight smile “Tonight is a night for being young. Anyway, I’m sure I’m leaving you in good hands” his eyes move to Legolas as he says that last bit.

“Thank you” I say and he just nods, walking away, soon lost in the crowds.