Chapter 1 : Silence

Gwilwileth's POV

     "Are you alright, Paloma?" Lord Elrond asked in a concerned tone as he saw me 'not touching' my dinner, just wiggling it with my fork.

     I looked up to him a bit startled. But, I didn't look like I was. I saw Lord Elrond and King Thranduil on their seats, staring at me. In fact all eyes were on me. The eyes who belonged to the elves who sat on the dining table.

     Lady Arwen, Sir Elrohir and Sir Elladan. They stopped eating as soon as Lord Elrond asked me.

     "Are you not enjoying your meal, my dear?" King Thranduil asked, concerned as well.

     I shook with a weak smile. But, that didn't give them a slight relief. They was still concerned of me.

     Everyone were always worried about me. Because I was different, I was a mute. I can't speak. I didn't have a voice. I was the only elf who was a mute. I guessed it brought shame towards my family and myself. But, nevertheless, the remaining families I knew had died shortly before I worked as Lord Elrond's servant. I wasn't that close to my family either.

     Most of the elves around my age taunt me for it. I disliked it. I hated myself for being a mute. Sometimes I wanted to kill myself or maybe cut off my ears just to show them that I'm not an elf who can't say even a bloody single word. If I were a mute human then it was fine. But, not to an elf.

      It was painful when I lost them one by one, my family. My sister, Galena, died caused by a disease last summer. She was half human and half elf since my mother was a human. Not like me. I was an elf just like my father, accept I was a mute one. He died during a small battle in the gates of Ithilien. Lord Elrond sent him to that task and to repay his debt, he asked me to serve his family. I had to serve something to them. My father was a Knight, he served and so should I in some other way... and so I chose to serve them as only a maid. Not just a mere maid, but a personal one. One who accompanied them when they needed me, one who assist them when they asked? 

     My brother, who was also a human, left with my mother I did not know where... They left when I still can't remember what really happen at the time. I was hoping for a letter for me to open in whatever which birthday of mine they had chosen, or maybe a letter from them now. Nothing. I couldn't even remember their faces. They left without telling me a reason. So, I presumed they were dead as well.

    My father was always concerned of me for never having a beautiful life, a voice, fun. 

     I speak using signs with my hands. Only few of the elves understand it. That included my family, Lord Elrond, his wife and their children and King Thranduil since he knew me and my father for a long time, and some of the servants in Rivendell.

     Never having to express your thoughts and feelings sucked. If only I had the ability to telepath like Lady Galadriel. It would've be easier.

     "No, I do enjoy it." I said using signs. King Thranduil nodded as a response. All eyes were still on me "It's okay, continue your meal." Once again, I moved my hands and fingers. They continued eventually.

     "I apologize for the lack of my son's punctuality. He's always late." King Thranduil apologize for the thousands time, embarrassment written all over his face.

     Yes, indeed. His son, Prince Legolas, was never on time. Whenever we were invited to Greenwood, Legolas never showed up. King Thranduil said that he was always playing outside. I never have met him. Not even a glimpse on seeing him passing by.