Chapter 2 : Stars

Gwilwileth's POV

     I believe we have a choice in this world, about how to tell sad stories.

     I always wished that other people would stop asking me whether I was alright or not. Even though I was a mute, I can manage take care of myself...

     After we finished dinner, we kept talking and laughing. It was fun, like I said before. I could only laugh since it would turn silence if I started to talk using my hands.

     I didn't want to make them feel uncomfortable nor bad for me.

     Legolas had been staring at me almost the whole conversation. I raised my eyebrows every time I took a glance to him, tossing him a fake yet annoyed smile. It was for to make him know that I was annoyed by it. He always starred me with a playful smile, he could've been an arse if he had an apple to bite.

     I never had experienced being stared like that by an elf before. Other elves usually looked at me as if I was a freak. I hated that.

     "So, Legolas. I heard that you almost got killed by a spider a few weeks ago?" Lord Elrond asked him. I turned to Legolas. He laughed slightly and nodded.

     "Yes, I almost did. Uhm... I was out in the woods practicing archery when a spider suddenly lunged behind me. I managed to kill it, but it cost me a wound in my arms." He gestured his wounded arm which was covered with his sleeve.

     "Were you scared?" Elladan asked.

     "Of course not! I'm not easily scared." Legolas frowned with a smirk. Oh were you? What a snob.

     "Well, all people had fears, so what's yours?" Arwen pointed out and asked. After glancing at her for a while, Legolas glanced to me for a moment then smiled before looking back to Arwen.

     "Oblivion..." Legolas answered.

      I looked over at Legolas Thranduilion, who looked back at me. You could almost see through his eyes they were so blue.

     I started to move my hands. Discussing over The Prince of Greenwood's confession. Aiming my answer for him, but I had guessed that he couldn't understand.

     Everyone turned to me and Arwen instantly translated my words to Legolas.

     “There will come a time,” I said, “when all of us are dead. All of us. There will come a time when there are no living beings remaining to remember that anyone ever existed or that our kin ever did anything. There will be no one left to remember Lady Galadriel or my father, let alone you. Everything that we did and built and wrote and thought and discovered will be forgotten and all of this”—I gestured encompassingly—“will have been for naught. Maybe that time is coming soon and maybe it is millions of years away, but even if we survive the collapse of our sun, we will not survive forever. There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of our oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Valar knows that’s what everyone else does.”

     After I finished, there was quite a long period of silence as I watched a smile spread all the way across Legolas' face—not the little crooked smile of the boy trying to be sexy while he stared at me, but his real smile, too big for his face. “Goddamn,” Legolas said quietly. “Aren’t you something else?”

     And I reply him with a nod. Smiling at my intelligence over him.

~

     I was trying to sleep that night on my chamber, King Thranduil had provided for me. I always slept here whenever I went to Greewnwood. But, I always had trouble sleeping in this place.  I rolled over to the other side, but nothing made me better. I was stil wide awake even though it was midnight.