Chapter 20

A few hours later and I was sitting inside Starbucks looking at Harry’s twitter to see if he was still in America. The only thing I found was a retweet from his sister. I locked my phone and let out a sigh. What was I going to do? I know I needed to talk to Harry but I just couldn't right now.

“Hey It’s you!” I looked up to see the boy from the plane, Alfie, taking the seat across from me.

“Yeah, Hey.”

“You seem down. Did you get a hold of your boyfriend?”

“Yeah, I did.” Alfie was cute, he was just a bit off. He seemed to be following me now. I would say it was a consequence that he was here, but New York is huge and there is almost a Starbucks on every corner.

“What’s wrong?”

Was I really about to do this? “He came to my house,” I guess I was, “And my mom doesn’t know about us so she got really upset and was going to call the caps on him if he didn’t leave and so I told him to go. I need to talk to him but I don’t know what to say. My mom told me if I stay with him, she won't send me any more money and if she doesn’t send me money, I can’t afford anything. I don’t have a job and I am just trying to pass College Chemistry at this point.”

Alfie crossed his arms and cocked his head to the side, “What do you want to do?”

Was he a psychologist now? I didn’t know I was at therapy. “I want to go talk to him.”

“Then do so. Call him and go to where he is.”

I knew Alfie was right. I just didn’t want to face him yet. I knew what I wanted to do and I was afraid of how he would react. “Thanks Alfie. I’m going to go find him and talk to him.”

“Wait one second!” Alfie jumped up after me. He took my phone out of my hands and started to press the screen, “Here is my number. I’m not trying to hit on you but I just want you to be okay. If it goes wrong and you need anything let me know. I have a guest room at my house back in Brighton and you can crash there if it is a last resort.” Was he really offering me his spare room? I just met him not 12 hours ago.

“Thanks.” I gave him a small smile and headed out the door. He was different. He wasn't someone that you thought would be so kind to a stranger.

Back in my car, I plugged my phone in so it wouldn’t die and dialed Harry’s number. He answered almost immediately.

“Harry! Where are you?” I was frantic. I didn’t want him to be upset.

“I’m heading home. Back to Brighton.”

“What do you mean you are heading home?” Harry and I were now fighting.

“I’m going home. You said you didn’t want me there, you told me to leave!”

“Harry listen to me, I need to explain to you some things! It was a mistake!”

“Bye Zoe, they are telling me to turn off my phone.”

“You are already on the plane? Harry wai-” the call ended and I lost him. Dammit. Why was he being so stubborn.

There was nothing else I could do now. I couldn't chase after him, Joe was getting off of life support tomorrow. I know I should be with my mom right now, but she was trying to take my lifeline away from me while my other one was going to be gone tomorrow.

I headed to the hospital to be with Joe in his final hours. He didn’t even look hurt. He just looked like he was sleeping. He was just laying there in the bed, resting.