Regret (alternate ending)

So I attempted an alternate ending for my very first story in this book since someone suggested that I write a different ending. So I tried it out and this is the result.

Izaya's POV

I'm waiting at home for my boyfriend of two years to arrive home. As I'm chilling on the couch in the living room I flip through TV shows, patiently waiting for my Shizu-chan.

But for some reason he's been working later and later now. So all we do when he gets home is me asking how work was then us going to bed. I start to yawn then glance at the clock seeing that it's almost 11:30 pm.

When is Shizu-chan coming home? I thought he was supposed to be early-

Right then, cutting off my thoughts I hear the door being unlocked and opened.

"Shizu-chan welcome home. How was work today?"

Shizu-chan walks to the living room and says, "It was exhausting."

He seems worn out so I get up and decide to hug him. He feels so tense he needs to rest.

"Hey Shizu-chan you've been working hard today why not go take a shower and go to bed?"

He nods and shuffles away to the bathroom. When he gets out it's already 11:50pm he walks slowly to the bed collapses and down then wraps his arms around me.

I snuggle in closer to him and say, "Goodnight Shizu-chan I love you."

"Goodnight, Izaya. I love you too." Shizu-chan responds then we both fall asleep with me wrapped in his arms.

*Two weeks later*

Shizu-chan is getting home later and later, but he sometimes surprises me and shows up with dinner made from one of my late days or offers to make dinner. In the morning we eat breakfast and exchange good morning and goodbye kisses that's it, but sometimes he offers to make breakfast as well.

It's close to my birthday and he hasn't said anything about it, though I'm not worried. He may be planning something special.

I wander around Ikebukuro for a chance to eat with Shizuo-chan for lunch. Even though I should be at work, having to listen to Namie talk about Senji and his relationship, again. I get to Russian Sushi and see Simon attempting to pass out flyers.

"Hello Izaya you come eat sushi? Sushi real good."

"Hey Simon I'm looking for Shizu-chan is he in there?"

"Yes Shizuo in there eating with other of his worker friends in a private room."

"Okay thanks Simon."

I walk into Russian Sushi and spot Shizu-chan instantly sitting in the furthest private room from the door with Tom and Varona eating. I skip over to him and give him a hug from behind. He tensed up but relaxed when he saw it was me.

"Hey Izaya I'm surprised to see you here." He smiles then says, "Do you want to try this new sushi, it's today's special."

I nod happily and lean down while Shizu-chan is holding up his sushi.

After I eat the sushi I smile and say happily, "It's so good... it almost beats fatty tuna."

"Almost?" Shizu-chan questions.

"Yep!" I nod and smile at him he chuckles softly and smiles back.

I'm about to ask him about my birthday, but then Varona speaks up saying, "We have to get back to work now."

Shizu-chan gets up and kisses me on the forehead before saying, "See you later, love you."

He then walks away to do more work. I notice when they were walking out Shizu-chan and Varona seemed to walk a little close together behind Tom. I brush off any doubt that just consumed my mind and get my fatty tuna then leave the restaurant to go back to work.

*Two days later*

Today's my birthday and Shizu-chan is still gone.

He still hasn't said happy birthday to me once today and I wonder what's going on. Shinra and Celty came over earlier to say happy birthday and talk for a while at least they remembered my birthday, well Shinra most likely. It's almost dinner time and Shizu-chan's not back yet so I guess I'll just spend this night alone.

I start to get bored so I grab my favorite fur trimmed coat and walk out for a late night stroll. I wander through Shinjuku and Ikebukuro around Shinra's place at an alleyway I spot Varona and Shizu-chan talking. I quickly hide myself and realize that I don't see Tom anywhere.

Weird aren't they supposed to be working right now?

I start to overhear their conversation and hear Shizu-chan say with an annoyed tone, "Varona I can't go out to dinner with you tonight."

"And why not?" Varona asks sounding really sassy.

As I keep listening in I get more of an idea of what is going on.

I'm glad I had no defiant doubts.

Shizuo's POV

"Varona just stop... it's already bad enough that work is getting later and later recently, but I need to go home tonight."

"But why we went out to dinner one night? And you even paid for me."

"Yes, because I was in a good mood and Izaya was out of town that day so that's why I asked you." I explain.

Though I really wish I didn't take her anywhere, should've asked Tom. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been like this with him.

"But didn't you have a good time?" Varona asks coming closer and holding onto my arm.

"I did but I only think of you as a friend nothing more. Now let me go I need to go home."

"To Izaya?"

"Yes it's his birthday today and I want to surprise him, so just let me go home."

She pouts then says, "Fine but you'll come to me."

Doubtful. I say in my head and leave her. Note to self I need to talk to Tom about this situation later.

As I go back home I see Izaya waiting for me on the couch and instantly apologize to him, "Hey Izaya, sorry I didn't come sooner I was a little held up."

"It's alright Shizu-chan." He smiles.

I smile back and say, "I love you so much, and... happy birthday."

Izaya smiles wider than before and I wrap him in my arms then whisper, "Will you marry me?"

I here a muffled yell saying yes and Izaya grips onto me tightly. I hold Izaya in my arms for I don't even know how much longer and kiss him on the forehead. We then go get ready for and late night dinner.

Once we finish eating the dinner we made together, we get into bed wrapping our arms around each other and falling asleep.

I wish I just had more time to spend with my lover.

Maybe that's what I regret the most...

Not enough time.

Hello readers I hope you guys enjoyed this alternate ending. Please tell me which one you enjoyed the most I would love to hear your guys opinion. See you next chapter!