Chapter 17: Mallet To Your Dreams

A/n: New Chapter

"...jealousy and hate prove to be more destructive
than a wildfire..."

Keira's POV
There hasn't been a time I have dreamed of a divorce. When Jason and I got married, I took my vows seriously. Until death does us part. Neither one of us is dead. How can we be apart?

He is violent. Uttering the word divorce will get me killed. Not even separation. He drops in and out. He's home this evening and we are eating in silence. We never really talk about anything. If he needs something is when he will speak to me.

"My mother is visiting." He broke the silence.

"What?"

"Are you deaf?" He asked me. "Why must I repeat myself? I said my mother is visiting. Prepare the guest room. She will be here for the usual three weeks."

Dorcas Burke visits her son for the last two weeks of May. Her intentions sound like that of a loving mother but a hateful mother in law. Jason is never here. She is visiting me and it will be the hardest 21 days of the year!

"I got a job." I informed him.

"With whose permission?" He questioned me.

"With my own permission." I answered in q low weak voice. "I need it."

"I prefer it when you stay home and take care of the house."

"With no penny to show for it? My parents need financial help. Are you willing to part with a few thousands every month?"

"They are not my responsibility."

"They are mine. That is why I'm working."

"Who is supposed to keep my mother company when she visits?"

Jason cannot stand his own mother. He leaves that task to me.

"I will spend time with her on the evenings."

"Where is this work?"

"At a hotel." I answered.

"Which one?"

"The Harrington Hotel." I answered.

He stopped chewing for a few seconds. His gaze intensified. "How did you get a job at a luxury hotel? They only hire Michelin starred chefs. You can't even saute onions right. How did you get in? Did you fuck Cole Michael? Or was it his old man?"

"Jason, i wouldn't do that for a job. Mrs Harrington and my mother are friends. Mrs Harrington set everything up."

It's Nick. It must be Nick because I did not tell Cole I'm looking for a job.

"In that case it's fine." He shrugged.

Silence took over once more and we finished up our dinner without incident. He went upstairs and I began cleaning up the kitchen.

I was surprised to get the call from HR. They asked me to come in for an interview.  I'm excited about it. If I get the job, I can be part of a five star hotel. Most importantly, I'll earn a living, moving closer to financial independence and I can leave Jason. I think I'll disappear or if I'm brave enough, I'll confront him with a divorce.

"Hey." He approached me with his hands behind his back.

I stopped wiping the counter, pausing with my palm on it. "Hey."

"I have a gift for you."

"Thank you. What is it?"

He revealed a metal mallet and before I could move my hand he drove it down, smashing my hand into the counter. I be ke into a scream that didn't deter him. He held my wrist and did a second time. I am whimpering in pain, almost breathless. I felt his hot breath on my cheek. "It is better if you stay home and be a housewife. That is all you are good for. My gift is this warning. Next time I will drive a nail into your hand and pin it on the wall. Now dear, I'm going out. Be a dear and stay put."