Chapter 19: Ex wife

"...The deepest secrets of the heart will always come to light when the time is right..."

Keira's POV
Yesterday was a burst!

Keith got sentenced to ten years in prison. My parents were devastated and my mom is so sad she will not even get out of bed anymore. I wasn't sure how to feel. I think I have been hit by so many misfortunes that I'm becoming numb. I couldn't cry. I couldn't speak. Lorraine took me out to a spa so that I can feel better but I'm still somewhere in between shocked and numb if such a place exists. How many misfortunes can a human being be hit with before the mind and heart become numb? How many more before I fade into a grey emptiness?

Cleaning up the mess of Jason's outbursts is something routine to me. At least this time I'm not planning to go to hospital for stitches. He was too drunk to see me clearly. Dodging his attacks was easier. He ended up falling asleep on the bedroom floor. I left him there. I just couldn't bring myself to care enough time even cover him. He left in the morning hours and has not come home. That doesn't bother me, not at all. If anything I am glad for his absence. It gives me personal space and peace of mind.

I paused for a second to look at my hand. Ferrer came looking for me. He parked his car a few houses back and he asked me to allow him to tend to my hand. We didn't speak to each other. Not even a word. He gave me painkillers and a number for a physiotherapist should I need my had rehabilitated. It's been a couple if days. It feels a little better. Jason hasn't even acknowledged it. I had to lie to my parents that a door did this. Mom rolled her eyes. Dad looked at me suspiciously but neither one pushed the matter. I think they know.

Lorraine's words still linger at the back of my mind. She was right when she said my tolerance only serves to empower Jason. I can't help but be patient with people. I always hope for the best. But the best hasn't happened in a long time. I'm still stuck in an endless carousel of misery. It goes round and round serving me one misfortune after another.

Divorce. That word is getting louder in my mind. I need to get away from Jason. For the first time in my life I want to be free from him like I really want to jump ship.

Nick paid off what we owe and my husband is probably in Vegas blowing it off while I am here still playing a good wife. I have come to learn that physical bruises are easy to get past but emotional wounds last forever. I cry alone but I smile in public. My picket fence life isn't as rosy as Jason makes it seem. I am dying inside, slowly... steadily... quietly... He remains unbothered. So why am I still doing this?

When the door bell rung it distracted me from the so called bliss of memory lane.

With my broom in hand, I opened the front door. I was almost shocked to death when I saw Nick's wife standing there. She looks dangerously beautiful in a little black dress. She looks like something out of a french magazine. I held my broom closer feeling under dressed in her presence. I feel small.

"You look good holding a broom." She remarked in a thick french accent. "Have you considered a career as a maid?"

Oh boy! She's a mean one! Normally people will begin with a greeting but she has to insult me first.

I never thought we would meet like this. I never imagined we would ever meet. How naïve of me! I'm having an affair with her husband. This was bound to happen. I feel embarrassed.

"How may I help you?"

"Won't you invite me in?" She is already pushing the door open. She pushed me aside and stepped in. "You're not doing a good job keeping your house clean."