Chapter Two

Bei never thought, in all her life, that she would be in such a dilemma for a place such as the Valley of Peace. Her insides twisted and churned with every emotion that revealed itself (and it revealed itself in the most violent way); she did not know which emotion to grasp onto.

Animals of the average, everyday species hustled and bustled across the main streets and down every path which brought forth the feeling of apprehension and shy reluctance. The stalls, which aligned the streets, peaked Bei's curiosity and excitement. The buzz of happiness and joy from the villagers gave Bei the feeling of hope and a fresh start. But the one thing and feeling that captured her the most was the massiveness of the Valley itself. On and on the village, went, and continued up the mountain of steps that led to a palace: The Jade Palace. The size of the place made Bei's old home look like a speck, and for the first time since she was deserted, the young snow leopard felt small and weak.

Watching her gulp noticeably, the old Master chuckled to himself, and motioned her forwards, beyond the entrance of the Valley of Peace. Gulping again, the snow leopard complied, and put one foot in front of the other. Her eyes darted to every villager, untrusting and sceptical, for she had not seen so many people in one place, nor so many strangers.

Bei had no clue as to where they were going, but she had a hunch, for the path they were on went straight, and Master Oogway had not strayed to another path. He took one step onto the stairs, but Bei had not moved a muscle. She was ridged, and stayed still like solid rock. Master Oogway sighed, and stepped down to her level on the ground.

"Bei, you are strong. Don't let your fear fail you." Bei looked deeply into his eyes for reassurance, and with an encouraging nod, she proceeded to climb the stairs to the Jade Palace.

At first, her pride refused to allow her to get beat (let alone notice) the many steps that led to the grand palace but, when they got halfway, Bei started to feel the effects of fatigue. She forced herself onwards, and scolded herself for allowing her mind to persuade her to rest, or let her body become tired of the steep steps. Her main motivation to keep going, was the old tortoise next to her. Not once had he slowed his steady pace, nor did he show any type of tiredness and Bei began to wonder how fit the old male was.

At last, the two reached the top step. Bei breathed the fresh air deeply, and turned to look at the spectacular view below her. The once large village looked tiny now, and she felt a wash of easiness float over her, now that she was away from the unfamiliar crowdedness of the village.

For once in a long time, Bei smiled. It was small, but the action calmed her senses for the first time that year. She knew, in that instance, she made the right choice in accepting Master Oogways' proposition.

That calmness was short lived however, when she heard a growling to the left of her. Just as she turned towards the noise, a white-grey figure jumped her and pinned her to the ground. Emerald eyes flashing dangerously, she flipped the unknown figure over, thus now being on top, and kicked the figure away. The stranger was persistent. As soon as she kicked them away the stranger flipped and pounced. Bei met the person mid jump, and wrestled. The fight was more defensive on both sides as they did not know each other, but as the yet unknown figures' arm slipped, Bei grabbed it, and pinned the figure to the wall beside the entrance to the Jade Palace.

They both stopped their actions although, Bei still had the figure pinned. Once their eyes met they widened. Bei was in shock, for the person she had between herself and the wall was another snow leopard like her, although this one was male. He was taller than her- about the size of Master Oogway, who had watched them wrestle, but the most prominent thing about him was his eyes. They were a bright, fiery red. They looked so alight that she was sure they could burn down houses.