Thirteen

Elephant

Daylight waned and dusk came sooner and sooner each day. Like the leaves that drifted from the limbs of trees and fell in scattered heaps around the stone base of the hanok, things seemed to just fall into place.

Opening night was a huge success. Aside from a few small hiccups and Glinda the Good Witch's minor wardrobe malfunction, the show went off without a hitch. Several parents expressed how pleased they were with the outcome and with their children's positive experience to Mrs. Kim, who redirected all the credit to Jisoo.

When word got around of how good Jisoo was with the children's program, the school district asked her if she'd like to take on a temporary-to-permanent position as an elementary after school drama club coordinator. She figured she had nothing else to do, and the summer program had been such a fun experience. Jisoo took the job.

Meanwhile, Mrs. Kim heeded Boyoung's advice and spoke to the head doctor at the elderly care home. After about an hour or so of talking and negotiating, she came away with an agreement to let harabeoji stay there for a discounted rate. She would still need to find new piano students quick to make up the money, but with Jisoo now collecting paychecks from the school district, the Kims didn't worry too much about not being able to afford the care Harabeoji needed.

As for Jinyoung, he and Jisoo were like milk and cookies again.

Next up on Jennie's reunion itinerary was an overnight camping trip. It had gone smoothly enough. Aside from Yugyeom almost drowning in the lake during a race (Mark rescued him, everything was fine). And Jackson's pants catching on fire (Yugyeom ended up dousing the flames with his shirt, which was still wet from nearly drowning). And Jennie almost fell of a cliff (thankfully, Jaebum had fast reflexes.)

Jinyoung and Jisoo shared their nonsense song about Mr. Cactus Head with the group, and it turned into their fireside anthem.

Then, there was an after-hours evening of self-guided tours and themed cocktails at the Natural History Museum. Which turned out to be somewhat disastrous since a handful of their former classmates got smashed and destroyed a reconstructed Homo Erectus skeleton. Jinyoung and Jisoo were exploring the taxidermy hall when they heard the clamor. They ran around the museum looking for Jennie to report the damage, but no one had a clue where she was.

The evening was practically over by the time they saw her emerge from the gemstones exhibit with Jaebum behind her. Jinyoung felt a wave of catharsis overwhelm him at the sight.

The activities kept on coming: a pirate-themed escape room activity that reunited Jisoo with her high school dramas family. They lost the game, though, since none of them could solve the last math equation that would open the final door.

"You fucking useless Thespians," Bambam joked, shaking his fist dramatically at the drama club when they came in last place.

Next came a build-your-own-burger night at the 50's diner. Jinyoung and Jisoo experimented with using waffles instead of brioche buns. At the first bite, they turned and looked at each other with wide eyes, wondering if they had just invented something new.

Then there was a movie night under the stars, during which Jennie and Jaebum mysteriously disappeared again.

In between the activities, Jinyoung and Jisoo continued seeing each other.

"Jungah, you already had a chance to pick the game last time," Jisoo said. She had her shoes propped up on a desk, and she was leaning back as she watched the newly formed Elementary Drama Club argue over which improv game they wanted to play.

"But if you let Sojung pick, she'll just want to do Understudy again!" Jungah complained.

"That's because it's the one everyone is most familiar with!" Sojung argued. "You only ever want to play Narrator!" After her stint as the Wicked Witch in the summer program, Sojung the Shy had come out of her shell and was even voted drama club president.