Chapter 11

"Do you always jog this late?"

"Sometimes later... or earlier depending on how you look at it."

It was one in the morning, and Lauren was lightly hopping up and down on a sidewalk while Camila double - knotted her shoes - laces. She was sitting on a bench as a street lamp shined down on her head. Lauren smirked at the glow emanating from her girlfriend. She extended a hand and smiled at Camila as she lifted her off the bench.

Camila adjusted her sweat pant's length, and checked behind to clear the hem around her heel. She licked her upper lip once and breathed in the fresh nightly air. Lauren let go of the hand to unfold the hood on Camila's jacket, she leaned in to instruct quietly.

"Just follow me."

---
"Tired?"

Camila shook her head feebly and leaned her forehead against Lauren's back, while Lauren deposited several silver coins into a vending machine. She flung her wrist once after ridding the coins, and pressed twice onto the vending machine's number pad. It shuddered and the cans noisily dropped down with dull thuds. Lauren looked over her shoulder to grin at Camila, the other girl languidly lifted her head and tottered over to a curb. Lauren bent down to collect the cans under the machine's flap, and joined Camila on the curb. She gently pushed down on Camila's shoulder, and made the fatigued girl sit on the step.

"Which one do you want?"

Lauren held a can of Pocari Sweat and Gatorade by the tips of her fingers, and raised her eyebrows at Camila. The other girl blankly stared at both and took them from Lauren's hands.

Lauren chuckled in amusement and bent her knees to her chest, as she watched Camila drink the two cans. She leaned to the right and quickly kissed Camila's chilled ear.

"Lauren? Camila?"

Lauren peered up to the voice and saw Lucy approach from the left with a stranger. Lucy's eyes traveled over to the sweat glistening on Lauren's forehead and nodded understandingly.

"You just finished jogging."

Lauren nodded to what Lucy said and got up from the curb. She picked Camila up as well and dusted both their pants. Lucy was in front of them now, and Lauren looked to the stranger. Lucy spoke before she could ask.

"This is a friend."

The new girl smiled and happily announced.

"Hi, I'm Vero!"

Lauren nodded and didn't bother in greeting Vero with a smile. She was never comfortable with new faces. She instead reached back and clasped onto Camila's free hand. Lucy briefly glanced to the gesture and cast her gaze downwards at the gravel.

Camila stuck out her hand and grinned at Vero.

"Hi, Vero, I'm Camila."

---
"She's not that cold once you get to know her."

Lucy replied dryly as leaves broke loudly under her footsteps.

They had all talked for about five minutes, and separated once Camila received a worried call from Sofi. Lucy had watched Lauren and Camila's back fade in the dark and empty street.

"You mean Lauren?"

Lucy slowed her steps and looked back at Vero.

"Yeah."

"Are you close with her?"

"We were pretty close."

Vero stepped on the leaves Lucy had left behind, and listened intently on a cricket's chirping before asking.