11.

Reid tapped his fingers against his jeans as he walked down the empty hallways of Foxcreek. Three taps, and then three taps, and then one. He's worked at this godforsaken place long enough that he found the corresponding door easily enough, without worrying about getting lost between the separate wings. He stopped at the door, tucking his hands into the pockets of his jeans as he stared at the unsurprisingly over polished wood.

       331.

       Room 331.

       Mal's room.

       What the fuck was he doing here?

       If Grace or Jax knew he was here right now-standing in front of a Fox's doorway and hesitating like a lovestruck fucking idiot, they'd kick his ass so hard he'd be feeling it for a week. Which is one of the reasons he didn't tell them. Not because he had something to hide, but...because they wouldn't understand.

       Hell, he didn't even understand.

       All he knew is that Mal had admitted to knowing him-to knowing his dad-and for some reason, Reid itched to know how. It kept him up the better half of the night. He'd spent hours replaying their conversation and going over and over in his head how they possibly could have any kind of semblance of a connection and he'd gotten nowhere.

       So this was his next best chance.

       Mal was his best chance. A fucking fox.

       God, it really was the sign of the times.

       Before he could question it, he knocked, tapping that same rhythm into the door. It swung open and Reid almost flinched at the sight of Ramona standing in front of him, a death glare already on her face.

       "The mutt is here," she called behind her. Her nails were sharp black today, and they gripped the edge of the door so hard, he half thought there'd be scratch marks when she finally pulled away.

       Reid just stood there under her heavy gaze, not bothering to snap at her like he usually would've done. There was no point. He didn't have to. A second later Mal appeared behind her, and his expression didn't show even the slightest bit of surprise that Reid had decided to come. Which, frankly, annoyed Reid. He was not that predictable.

       Mal pulled the door open wider and turned to Ramona. "Leave."

       Ramona looked like she wanted to argue, but something about the dead set look on Mal's face suggested the two had already had this conversation several times over. The furious look on Ramona's face suggested she hadn't won either time.

       "Don't come crawling to me when he drops your ass," Ramona hissed, so quietly Reid wasn't even sure he was supposed to hear it. Mal just stared at her, unperturbed, and she finally tore her penetrating gaze away and slipped past Reid. He twisted to watch her storm down the hall and then turned back to Mal who was now watching him unblinking.

       Reid shifted. "Hey."

       Mal didn't bother with a greeting, just pushed the door all the way open and gestured for Reid to come in. He hadn't said anything during the exchange but Nick was there, lounging on the bed tucked in the corner and physically abusing a laptop-and there was that girl. He forgot her name, but she was sitting in a lounge chair by a tall bookshelf, her knees pulled up to her chest.

       Reid tried not to look disappointed that they were here. From what he knew about the Fox so far, Mal was a relentlessly private person. Other people around meant he wasn't going to talk.