Through The Dark

Prologue -

Okay, so it's official, I no longer live with my mom, and after 17 years of doing just that this is now a bit scary. It's only been an hours since she left, after an entire day of helping me carry all my boxes, but now, sitting here in this room all alone it's starting to really sink in, I'm no longer a child.

Taking a look around the room I realise I have to finish packing up, my roomate has already put all her stuff up so it's not hard to guess which side is mine. I haven't seen her all day and to be honest I'm both relieved and worried about that, it was nice to have this last day with my mom but I'm curious about this person that I'm supposed to share a room with for the next three years.

I start with packing up all my clothes and putting them away, I'm both shocked and relieved to see we have a big closet and there's more than enough room for all of my clothes. I'm not really sure where to put my calander and books, there's only one desk in the room and I don't wanna hog it incase my roomate wants it.

An hour later I pick up the last object from the boxes, a frame, carefully I put it on my nightstand, I offer it a weak smile but I can feel my lip start to tremble and tears threatening my eyes. "Hi dad" I whisper lowly and a tear fall.

The door slams open and I spin around, frightened "Didn't mean to scare you there" the girl smirks at me and it takes me a few moments longer than it should to realise that this girl, with blue hair and tattoos covering her arms, is my roommate. "I'm Chloé"

I'm slightly aware that my chin is probably laying on the floor right now, but I can't do anything about it. Suddenly all my plans about me and my roommate studying toghether, taking the same classes, becoming like sisters, seems ridiculous.

"I'm Emily" I weakly offer her my hand and she looks at it like she has no idea what to do with it "cool" she dismiss me and I feel a blush creep onto my cheeks. I awkwardly stand there while she moves across the room and slumps down on her bed, I wrinkle my nose in disgust as she puts her dirty boots on the sheets in her bed but she doesn't seem to mind.

Snapping out of it I turn back to look at my books, still in the box next to my bed "d-do you mind if I take the desk?" I ask her and she lets out a small laugh "it's all yours" I nod once and hurry to place my things on the desk, happy to finally be done packing up.

The next hour consist of her laying on her bed, shoes still on, with her computer that's playing some obnoxious loudly screaming music. I'm trying to be a good roommate and not comment on it but it's making it hard to concentrate on learning my new schedule.

"I'm having some friends over soon, just thought I'd let you know" she tells me and I nod as I stand up and begin to collect my things, putting them in a bag "you don't have to leave, that's not what I meant" she looks at me, a slightly confused look in her eyes "it's fine, I have some errands I have to do anyway" I smile, trying to cover up my insecurity.

Really, I only had one thing to do, locate all my classes for tomorrow, and it only took me about an hour so now I'm sitting at the library, trying to kill some time. How long do friends usually stay over? And yes I do have friends, maybe not so many but I have some, I'm just not sure my friends and her friends are anything alike.

I look at the time and see that it's only 8pm, letting out a sigh I pick up my phone to call my mom "Hi sweetie, how's your new home?" it's hard to say what kind of mood she's in, you see even though I'm kind of close with my mom we're not that close at the same time, it's hard to describe. I mean I love her and I know she loves me, it's just that she has a harsh way of showing it sometimes.

"It's great mom, I really love the room and I'm excited for classes tomorrow" I tell her and she hums to let me know she's listening, an awkward silence makes me realise she's waiting for me to tell her something else "mom?" I ask, unsure "and your roommate? have you met her yet?" her voice is stern and I begin to think I called at a bad time

"y-yeah, she's .. nice" I can't think of another word to describe her, based on her look she's a bit scary but I don't want to judge her before I get to know her and if I tell my mom that I share a room with someone that looks like that she'll call the school and make them switch my room.

"uhm, that's great sweetie" she says and I know she's not concentrating on the conversation, it's wierd but somehow the word 'sweetie' sounds harsh coming from her mouth, it's supposed to be a sweet word for someone but coming from her it sounds more like an accusation.

"I'm sorry mom I gotta go" I tell her, mostly because I can feel she'd rather get back to what she was doing "alright, goodbye sweetie" and with that the line is dead. I look at the time and it has only been ten minutes, and even though I'm not quite sure I believe her friends will be a bit longer.

I decided to find a book to read and settled for 'The great Gatsby' and it doesn't take long for me to get lost in the story. Suddenly I feel a tap on my shoulder "Miss, we're closing now" a stern voice says from behind, I turn to see a rather annoyed looking woman stand behind me and I realise I must have fallen asleep

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to" I hurry an apology and grab my things from the table. "Don't make a habit out of it" she snaps and I look down, feeling even more ashamed "I really am sorry .. miss Stone" I see the name on a nametag. She looks down at the book I was reading, well sleeping on I guess, and loosen up a bit "Don't worry about it miss. Did you enjoy the book, well before you fell asleep?" she doesn't even try to hide her smile

"Yes, I really liked the book, have you read it?" I ask her and her smile grows even more "It's one of my favourites" she tells me "So you enjoy the classics?" she continues and I smile and nod "Yes there's just something about them" I tell her and she nods "Well I'm sorry miss but I really need to close up now."

When I walk out of the library doors it's 11.20pm and I can't believe I stayed out that late, especially since it's a school night, and tomorrow's my first day at that. I open the door to my room as silently as I can, knowing Chloé is probably asleep by now.

But as I enter the room I'm met by five people, Chloé and two others are laying on her bed but there's a guy and a girl on my bed, I don't even want to know what they've been doing. "You were out pretty long, did you manage to do all you needed?" Chloé asks and I'm not sure but I think I see one of the guys supressing a laugh

"um yeah" I whisper in response, not being able to find my voice. I just stand there awkwardly since all I wanna do is go to bed but there's four strangers in my room, and two of them are on my bed "This is Niall, Zayn, Harry and Annie" Chloé tells me and I look from her and to each face of her friends "h-hi" I stutter and I hear them laugh.

"Don't be jerks, give the girl her bed back" she says to the two on my bed and the guy gives her an annoyed look "Actually I think I'm gonna go take a shower" I tell her and leave the room in a hurry. This, sharing a room thing, turns out to be a lot harder than I thought.