Prologue

"Come on, Fizzy! Get the ball!" Glitter Drops demanded, her and Spring Rain looking at the magenta unicorn expectantly. Fizzlepop hesitated, seeing how far the ball had strayed away into the forest. She flattened her ears, shuffling nervously. The forest beyond her town had always intimidated her. Fizzlepop always felt something bad was about to happen, even by just merely looking at the tall trees.

"C-Can we just ask your dad instead..?" Fizzy stammered, hoping for them to agree with her. Unfortunately for the young unicorn filly, her friends vigorously shook their heads in unison.

"If we tell dad, we're gonna get in trouble!" Spring Rain exclaimed, trying to convince his friend. Fizzy still looked unsure.

"Yeah, he just bought the ball yesterday.." Glitter chimed in. Sighing angrily, Fizzy turned towards the forest.

"Fine.." She muttered, slowly walking towards it. Glitter and Spring looked on at their friend with worried expressions on their faces.

"She'll be okay, right..?" Spring whispered to Glitter. The cyan unicorn nodded.

"Fizzy's tough and strong, she can handle herself!" Glitter reassured her enthusiastically. The blue colt just flattened his ears in worry.

Fizzy stood in front of the dark overgrowth. She was intimidated by the large trees that towered over her. Taking a deep breath, she walked into the forest.

As the magenta unicorn trotted through the overgrowth, the nagging feeling of fear gnawed at her. The farther Fizzy walked in, the stronger the feeling became. She could feel as if she was being followed by something, or somepony. Shaking her head to get rid of her paranoia, she continued on until she spotted a cave nestled between some trees and other flora. Once Fizzy looked a little closer, she could see warning signs stamped all over the entrance. But inside the cavern was the yellow ball she had been tasked with finding.

How did it even get in there? Fizzy wondered. It's impossible for a ball to get that far, right..?

Gulping nervously, she slowly walked inside the cave. The magenta unicorn could hear the dripping of water from farther inside. She spotted the ball resting firmly on the side of the cave wall, stained with dirt and rocks. The filly began to levitate the ball with her magic, and prepared to turn around to leave. As she turned back to the exit, Fizzy froze. An Ursa minor was standing in front of her, angrily snarling at the young filly. She stiffened, fear taking over her body.

I should have stayed back! I should have left when I saw the signs, I--

Fizzy's thoughts were then interrupted by the deafening roar of the blue bear.

Run! Fizzy yelled at herself internally, but she couldn't force herself to run. It was as if she were paralyzed. Fizzy's pupils shrunk and her mouth hung agape as the gigantic bear began to slowly walk towards her. She began to back away carefully, matching the creature's movements until her back felt the cold hard wall of the cave. Fizzy gulped.

She was trapped.

The Ursa minor then drew his paw back, and swung at the young filly, causing her to scream. Pain seared throughout Fizzy's head and a loud crack echoed around the cavern. Something dropped and shattered near her hoof, but the filly was unable to check what it was as her vision was obscured by deep red spots. Shadows soon began to invade Fizzy's vision, and the last thing the magenta unicorn heard before she slipped into unconsciousness was the sound of an oncoming tempest.

--------------------------

"Sir, I'm very sorry, but as you know, there's nothing anypony can do about her--" Nurse Tenderheart was quickly cut off by the stallion's angry yell.