Chapter 14

Sun streamed in through the windows of the Slytherin Dormitories, filtered by the rippling water of the lake, and I sat up, shivering slightly due to the spring chill, regretting my choice of pyjamas the night before. In a hurry, I had pulled on a t-shirt and a pair of shorts - not an appropriate springtime choice. It should have been warm, however, for some reason, this spring had decided to stay cold. I glanced over to my left and saw Elisa already up and dressed, fussing Buchanan on the floor where her bed had previously been. 
"Morning!" she grinned and I smiled, throwing my legs out of the warmth of my covers. 
"I should probably get back to my quarters before breakfast." 
I nodded my agreement as Elisa stumbled back into her chair. 
"W-want me t-to w-walk you ou-out?"
She grinned and nodded sheepishly. I knew she'd be uncomfortable in the Common Room alone. Just before we headed out of the Dormitory, I heard a cold, drawling voice call out from behind us.
"Awh is the little, disabled baby having to be taken back to her special quarters? Boohoo, baby." sneered Pansy, a malicious glint in her eye as she looked at Elisa.
I took a step towards her, despite a warning glance from Elisa.

"What are you talking about?" I growled, anger seemingly replacing my stutter.

"Didn't you hear her? Last night?" asked Pansy innocently, pouting. "Crying herself to sleep like a little baby. Honestly, she just stay in St Mungo's with all the other disabled kids, it's where she belongs."
I took another step towards her and I could see in my peripheral that Elisa was glowing red with embarrassment.
"I swear, Parkinson if you say one more thing about Elisa, I will end you."
Pansy was more shocked by my lack of stutter than by my threat and in her moment of shock, it meant Elisa and I were able to leave the Dormitories without any further disruption. Despite what I was wearing, I followed Elisa out of the door and down into the Common Room.
"You didn't need to do that, Ophelia," stated Elisa as we descended into the Common Room.
"Y-yes I d-did, Elisa," I stated matter-of-factly and Elisa stopped, staring at me. "Wh-what?"

"That was the first time you ever said my name without stuttering!" she beamed, grinning at me.
I grinned back as I looked around the Common Room. There were a few people dotted about, awake before the majority but still half asleep. I spotted Draco looking at me, along with some other people and I became very self-conscious of what I was wearing. Elisa caught sight of the group of boys staring at me and she moved even quicker towards the door.

"I'll see you at breakfast, yeah?" she asked, glaring at the ever-growing group of eyes on me, sounding slightly distressed though I had no idea why.

I nodded and bade Elisa goodbye before turning around, however, I was unable to go very far for a tall seventh year was blocking my way.

"Ophelia Avondale," he smirked, looking me up and down.
I crossed my arms over my chest and glared at him.

"Piss o-off J-jack." I hissed, trying to catch Draco's eye from across the room but he was staring intently at Jack.
I hated Jack Atkins with everything I had. He was an awful human being who thought that women existed for the sole purpose of his pleasure or possibly to do his household chores. I glared at him. 

"Hmm, you know what, I don't think I will," he responded with a disgusting smirk.

I took a deep breath in.

"Just l-leave me al-alone."
I looked back over at Draco but he was gone, as were all of his friends. My heart began to race. Surely, Jack wouldn't try anything anywhere so public as the Common Room but you never knew with him. Just as he went to respond, a deep voice from behind him called his name, a deep voice that I would recognise anywhere. He turned to see who it was that had spoken but was greeted by a wave of pain as Draco's fist connected sharply with the bridge of his nose. Jack staggered backwards and Blaise stepped past him, putting his hands on my shoulders and guiding me into the middle of the group that had formed, consisting of Crabbe, Goyle, Draco and Blaise.
"Leave her the hell alone," growled Draco and he slid his hand into mine, marching me away from Jack.
Just as Draco and I headed away from him, I heard him grunt in pain again as someone's hand connected with his face. I whirled around to see Madeleine stood before him, her face contorted with anger. She had slapped him.