Chapter 2 Costumes and Kiddies

By the time i had dragged the last cardboard box out of my house, it was dark. I had emptied out my moving boxes and had made a shelter near the roots of a thick pine tree. I had used 3 rolls of duck tape to make some boxes waterproof. I placed a old, soft blanket in the box, and placed the dish of meat and bowl of water in a different one. Mittens climbed in and relaxed on the blankets, going to sleep. I smiled and pet her one more time before turning and heading towards my house.

"Shut the hell up! You're so fucking paranoid its driving me crazy! Their not going to find him here!"
"How would you know you drunken bitch-oh hi sweetheart how was your day?"

I stared at my father blankly. Did he really think i was that stupid? What ever. I ignored them and went to bed. My mother said something about eating my dinner, but i never did anymore. It always tasted funny, so i had stopped eating at home a days ago, only eating lunch that i bought and small snacks in between.

I slipped onto bed and stared out the window. In the circles of light cast by the flickering street lamps, shadows flicked through the streets, skimming the light. I wondered if it was some of the neighborhood kids out playing late. Maybe tomorrow i would meet some of them.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I grabbed my scarf this time and dawned my matching sweater. They were both grey and had a black cat on them.

I slipped out side with a small bundle of meat in my pocket

I slipped out side with a small bundle of meat in my pocket. It wasn't that hard, considering that it was 7 in the morning and my parents didn't wake until 9. I walked over to the boxes and gently patted the ground. Mittens strolled out sleepily, and i set the meat down. When she was finished she hopped up on my shoulders and snuggled into my hood. I smiled and set off towards town.

As i was walking i heard a whiny cry for help. I looked across the street and saw a red headed kid with glasses getting beat up by 6th graders. I frowned. Not on my watch. I may not care about mine or my parents lives, but i did care about the lives of others... Well some others. I picked up a rock and chucked it at one of the 6th graders. They bullies turned towards me. Welp, time to fight!

After the fight was over, i came out on top, but definitely not unscathed. A large gash across my nose gushed blood, and i felt my left eye swell up and my stomach was aching something fierce. The child that had been getting bullied ran over to me. "Oh thank you! Thank you! My asthma always acts up when i get bullied. Oh my gosh your bleeding! Don't worry il go get help!" he yelled, running towards a house. "Aunt Sheila! The new kid just beat up some 6th graders that were bulling me, but now he's bleeding!" he called. I winced. His whiny voice was not helping the migraine that was assaulting my brain.
"What?!" a shrill voice yelled. I winced again. A middle-aged red haired woman rushed out of the house, or at least i assumed she did. My vision blurred and i passed out.

When i woke up, i was on a couch. I glanced around, trying to figure out where i was. Oh right, i had played hero and saved a little kid from getting his teeth punched out. I must be at his house. Mittens was curled up on my bandaged stomach. I heard small footsteps coming from the other room. The young kid popped his head in. "Aunt Shelia! He's awake!" he called to someone.

The lady came in holding some Advil and a glass of water. Fuck yes. This lady was my new favorite person. She handed me the stuff and I took it, giving her a grateful smile. I didn't smile often, but i felt like she deserved one. She took the empty glass when i was done. "Are you alright dear? Those nasty children really did a number on you." she asked me. I nodded, the action hurting my head. "That's good. You don't look like one of Kyle's little friends, are you new?" she asked, checking my bandages. I nodded again.

The kid was prattling on and on about his cousin and how he was playing super heroes with him. "But he doesn't like my costume! He said that i can't be Human Kite because that's who he is but i just want to be like him plus i don't know how to make a original costume!" he complained. I thought for a moment before a idea came to you. I grabbed a pencil off of the table along with a piece of paper. I began to sketch, and the kid quickly gained interest in my drawing when he realized it was of him.

I sketched a bird mask over his face. I added wings attached to his arms and small talons to his feet. I gestured to the crayons on the table and he excitedly ran over, catching on to my idea. He sat down next to me and i handed him the paper. He coloured the pictures with a few different colours. The headpiece was orange with the beak a sunny yellow. The feathers were red and the talons were black.

"I will be PhoenixFire! I can control fire, heal myself, comeback after dying every battle and i can fly!" the small child beamed, who i had learned was named Kyle, just like his cousin. Oh boy, this could get confusing. Young Kyle turned to me. "My friend Karen is coming over, she should be here in a few minutes, can you make her a costume too?" he asked. I nodded, grabbing another piece of paper as the door rang.

Karen, i found, was the sweetest little angel on this God forsaken earth. She was sweet,kind,polite and very cute. She had taken interest in our little super hero game, happy to be included. I sketched out a costume very reminiscent of a angle. A simple white dress with silver pants. White wings stuck out on her back and gold glitter sparkled on her face in the drawing. She held two circular blades, like a broken halo. Karen approved of the costume design, and dubbed herself Guardian Angel, a protector on swift wings.

The two kids encouraged me to make my own costume. I looked over a Mittens. Something cat related yet cool... Like a lion! I sketched my self with a my costume. A headpiece with lion ears led down to a mane. A brownish mask with a blue tint over the eyes was worn proudly on my face. A full body suit, varying shades of brown and white, covered my body. My hands had clawed gloves. My boots also were paw like, having claws and allowing me to leap like a lion. My tail was completely controllable, and small razorblades were sticking out from it.

 My tail was completely controllable, and small razorblades were sticking out from it

My name would be Auriel, Lion of God.