Chapter 2 (EDITED)

~Author's Note~
Here's a second sneak speak of the edited version 😌♥️.

*.*.*.*

Kloe:
I stood on the balcony, gazing down at the beach. It looked even more stunning under the night sky.

"Here," I heard his voice and turned around.

"Thanks," I muttered, accepting a glass from Leandro's hand. He had brought a glass for himself and a full bottle of wine as well.

He poured some wine into my glass and filled his own.

"I hope you didn't add anything to this," I said, eyeing the wine cautiously.
He smirked mischievously, and suddenly I had the urge to pour it out.

"I didn't. How could I spike it when we'll both be drinking it?" he asked.

"I don't know you, but I'm convinced you're capable of the worst."

He shook his head, amused.

What was so funny? Why was I even spending time with him? He scared me, yet I was foolish enough to agree to have a drink with him. But I needed a drink. My mind was filled with overwhelming thoughts that consumed and stressed me.

I felt genuinely happy for Donnica, seeing her so joyful and married made me wonder if I would ever marry Tyler. Yes, we were engaged and loved each other, but to me, that didn't feel like enough. Whenever he suggested a suitable date for our wedding, I would find excuses to postpone it. He couldn't understand.
I did this because I felt miserable within. I believed he deserved someone in good health. Someone he wouldn't have to worry about losing at any moment. Someone he wouldn't have to spend a fortune on for hospitals and treatments. That was me.

Not only was I anemic, but I also fell sick frequently. I felt like a burden to him, even though he didn't see it that way. He didn't care and loved me as I was. But I cared, and it infuriated me. At times, I completely lost my confidence and sought solace in alcohol, friends, or Donnica. Donnica was my pillar of strength, the sister I had never had. Not even my older brother could provide the reassurance she did. I was glad she had found happiness.

"Hmm, alright," I said, raising my glass. "Cheers..."

"Cheers, signorina."

I took a sip of my drink and turned to gaze at the beach.

"Your family has great taste. Not only is the property beautiful, but the surroundings as well," I continued.

"Yeah, you seem preoccupied. What's troubling you?" Leandro asked, taking a step closer. I was wise enough to take a step back.

"It would be preferable if you respected my personal space," I stated dryly, and he smiled. His smiles always had that wicked, mischievous aspect to them.

"I see you're being cautious around me," he said in a low voice, slowly sipping his drink.

"Naturally. What did you expect? I know about your slutty reputation."
As soon as the words left my mouth, I regretted them.

A frown appeared on his face, and a voice inside me urged me to run for my life. I was naturally sarcastic and dry, but it had its drawbacks. Sometimes I unintentionally provoked the wrong people.

"Don't worry," he began slowly, his frown fading as a smile replaced it. "...I know you're engaged."

I started to breathe again, hastily finishing my wine. I felt relieved that he hadn't attempted to harm me.

"Allow me, signorina," he offered, suggesting to refill my glass. I allowed him, and after pouring my glass, he filled his as well.

Leandro:
I observed her drinking her second glass. She seemed troubled by something, and I wondered what it could be. I watched her finish the contents of her glass for the second time.