Chapter 19: Deaton Knows

Our dad almost dropped the whiskey glass as Stiles was just on time to catch it.

"Stiles, Stephanie, there's just so many questions."

"Like what?" My brother asked.

"Like if Derek wanted to kill everyone involved with the fire, then why start with his sister? I mean, she had nothing to do with it. And why make it look like some kind of animal did it? When that cougar ended up in the parking lot, I checked with animal control. You know the instances of wild animal reports were up 70% over the past few months? It's like they're just going crazy, running out in the woods. I don't know."

"Or something's scaring them out." I suggested.

"You know, I miss talking to you two. It's like we never have time... "

"Dad, you know what, we have to make a phone call. I'm sorry. We'll be right back." Stiles interrupted as he pulled me up with him. I followed as our dad said one last thing before we left.

"I do. I miss it. And I miss your mom."

We stopped walking as we both turned around.

"What'd you say?" I asked as I could feel tear filling my eyes.

He wanted to grab the bottle of whiskey again, but Stiles walked towards him and took the bottle.

"Thanks."

Stiles just nodded as he turned to me again. He could see that I was on the verge of tears as he pulled me into a hug.

***

We just got a call from Scott who told us that his mom had a date with Peter. He told us to do something so we came up with the great idea to hit their car with ours. We did. It was now that Melissa left her car. Scott just hoped she wouldn't see him as he was hiding behind other cars.

"Aww, are you kidding me? Stiles!" She said, annoyed. Peter then walked out too as he smiled at me.

"Mrs. McCall?" Stiles asked.

"Yes!"

"Wauw, this is... This is just crazy. What a coincidence, huh?" Stiles added.

"Nicely done, Scott. Nicely done." Peter whispered as he knew I could hear him too.

"I mean, I do not know what happened. You guys just came out of nowhere." Stiles continued.

"Came out of nowhere? We were parked on the side of the road, Stiles." Melissa answered.

"How crazy is that? We should probably call the cops, do like an accident report thing."

"I don't think that's necessary." Peter answered as he looked at my brother and I.

"Are you sure?" I asked with crossed arms.

"I think I'm feeling a little whiplash." Stiles added as he put his hand on the back of his head.

"Whiplash? You hit us!"

"I don't know, there's something definitely wrong with my neck."

I look as Peter walked away again and started talking to 'Scott'.

"I know you're there, Scott, and I'm impressed. It's too bad most teenagers aren't that smart. It's like that one on the lacrosse team, Jackson, thinks he knows all about us. You know how they say knowledge is power? Not in this case."

I saw Scott running away as I just ran after him. Stiles didn't know what was happening as he just called my name. I ignored it and kept running.

***