𝐯𝐢𝐢. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐜𝐤𝐞𝐝 𝐝𝐨𝐨𝐫

[ vii

[ vii. the locked door ]

november 8th, 1983. tuesday.

"OH, MAN. OH, MAN. Oh, man. Oh, shit. Do you think he's been busted yet?"

"How're we supposed to know? We had to go to school!"

"I don't know. Don't all twins have twin telepathy? You know—if one feels something, so does the other? Does it feel like you're in trouble, Mel?"

Melanie let her attention drift from the darkening autumn sky and down to the curly mop of brown hair in front of her. Dustin had been kind enough to let her ride on the back of his bicycle on the way back to the Wheeler house so that she would not have to walk. The ride had been silent enough between Dustin, Lucas, and herself, that she had been able to let her thoughts wander from the current mess at hand, but now Melanie was being brought back to reality . . . and reality sucked.

She let out a scoff as Dustin repeated his question. "Nowadays, I always feel like I'm getting in trouble for something," She muttered. "So, if Mike really was in trouble, I guess I wouldn't feel any different than I do any other day."

"That's not very convincing," Dustin snickered.

"What does it matter?" Lucas retorted from beside them. "We'll find out soon enough if he's dead or not, and if the loony is back in her straitjacket."

Melanie readjusted her single hand on Dustin's back, her other injured one still resting loosely on his shoulder with her fingers holding delicately to the fabric of his jacket. She lifted her head again to the sky once again, knowing easily where the stars were located even when she could not see them. The wind felt nice and cool on Melanie's warm skin as she coasted. Her heart was still uneven from her encounter with Jason Duke that morning.

She was surprised that he even knew her name. After all, of course, Melanie knew that the middle school was small, but Jason did not seem like the type to memorize faces. It was an obvious fact that he did not care about anyone other than himself.  He certainly should not have cared whether Melanie was given a detention or not.  A detention for Jason Duke was his oxygen. He thrived in trouble. He was trouble.

Melanie was soon pulled from her thoughts of the demon in seventh grade as one of the wheels of from Dustin's bicycle rode over the curb and up onto the driveway that led to her house. Karen Wheeler's car was in the driveway but there was no sign of police.  Nothing seemed out of place from the front yard.  Going around to the back of the house, Melanie climbed from Dustin's back and moved towards the dark door that led to the basement. Both boys were following right behind her, their bicycles falling to the grass in metal heaps as they hurried.