► [1] MAD MAX

October was the month Halloween fell upon the land and honestly, Grace Knightwood felt finally content for the first time in almost a year

Long gone were the days of sitting down in Mike Wheeler's basement in his suburban home and playing Dungeons and Dragons. It had been a while since she last whizzed through the town on her bike, now opting to be picked up by Delancey who would happily drive her sister around. Both of the older Knightwoods had bonded after the events that occurred in November last year. Especially after finding out their own father was involved.

The Palace was a building that Grace wasn't foreign too but that didn't mean there was still an unfamiliarity about it. She made regular trips there but always used an alas when she played on the arcades. She opted out of playing games like 'Dig Dug' and stuck to 'Pac-Land' and 'Mario Bros'. Her codename 'Knight' was somehow undistinguishable to the kids of Hawkins. The nerd persona she used to display had been dropped and Grace had become somewhat popular.
Of course, they still mocked her - but not as much as before. Sometimes it made her sad thinking about the life she used to live, her old friends.

Her first love.

She could still remember when Mike kissed her in the cafeteria. The smile they'd shared. Dustin was rummaging the fridge for chocolate pudding and Eleven made conversation with Lucas.

Eleven.

She missed her a lot. That girl was her first female friend, Grace felt guilty for not looking for her but she had quite literally given up everything. The only person she really kept in contact with was Will, she'd never leave him. He was still her best friend but social levels tended to separate them. When the Zimmerman brothers bullied Will, she stepped in and told them off. That entire week she'd stuck by Will's side and made sure they didn't come close to him. Despite graduating from the group, Grace was still like a mother lioness and did anything to protect her cubs (friends).

So as she waited on this chilly night, she thought back to her friends. All the fun times they'd shared. She thought of the memories and the laughs as she waited for her date.

That's right. A date.

With her classmate, Seth Capulet. He was a nice guy, well mannered and well meaning. Grace never really expected anything to come out of tonight but she enjoyed his company and was egged on to accept his date request by her new friends Veronica and Connie.
Like Seth, they were nice girls. Normal, at least.

That was all she wanted. A normal life. A chance to leave the drama and destruction the upside down leaked into her life. But with normal came a price, they were also very boring. She couldn't really connect with them or talk about Star Wars or Ghostbusters. She could disappear and they wouldn't care.