Chapter 1 (October 1988)

It was a dark and gloomy day.

The storm blew unforgiving, cold winds as rain poured down harder by the second. These conditions weren't exactly enjoyable for a girl who went by the name Cameron, who stood on the porch of a house recognized to be the property of a wonderful family: The Denbroughs.

She could somehow hear a soothing melody being played on a piano through the loud whistling of the breeze, although it halted the moment she knocked on the door.

She stood there for a while, trying to find the right words to say. However, her pondering was cut short when the door flew open.

Sharon Denbrough now stood before her, confusion etched upon her graceful yet slightly aged face.

" May I help you? " The woman asked the younger girl, who gave her a charming smile in return. " Um... Hi. " She greeted softly. " I'm Cameron. Cameron Goodwill...? " She introduced herself, hoping for even the slightest bit of recognition to flash in the lady's eyes.

Mrs. Denbrough did indeed perk up at the mention of her last name. " Oh! Amelia Goodwill's daughter. " She said in realization, to which the girl nodded to.

The woman immediately let the poor lass in and ushered her to the living room, making her stand by the chimney where a fire was lit.

She instantly felt a bit warmer.

Though she continued to shiver, for her white woolen sweater, black jeans, and converses were soaked.

Her long, curly, brown hair now stuck to her face. Her puffy cheeks and button nose had become slightly red and her small but pouty lips had taken a shade of dull pink.

The elder lady was fussing over her, trying to find a towel or blanket to keep her warm. "Mrs. Denbrough. " Cameron called her attention, stopping the woman from her search. " Yes, dear?" The lady called back.

" Mother felt regretful because she hadn't been able to come over for dinner last night like she promised, so she asked me to bring you this. " Camie presented her the gift basket she had brought along.

Mrs. Denbrough stared in awe at the expensive looking pastries, as well as the fine bottles of liquor and gorgeous bouquet that came with it. " As a peace offering, you know. "

The Goodwills were a wealthy and posh family. That was no secret. They did everything with elegance and poise.

It was difficult not to look when a Goodwill walked into a room. They seemed to shine perfection.

" Oh, how lovely! " The lady gushed, however, she did not take it. " Mother baked the dainties. The drinks came from her friend in France and the flowers were taken from her garden. " Camie explained, just as her guardian told her to.

" She hopes that they would be enough to please you. " She flashed the lady another one of her famous smiles, which could melt even the coldest person's heart.