Change Is Inevitable

"Yavan Kaiser Manasseh! Just what in the gods' names did you think you were doing leaving this compound when I expressly forbade you from leaving?"

We had barely stepped through the door and Carson was already reprimanding Kai. Somethings never changed.

"Dad I-"

"Where did you go?" Interjected Carson, uninterested in the stammering reply Kai was preparing.

I could feel the smile splitting across my face as he continued railing at him.

"If I find out you sneaked off of these premises to go visit your devil mother in whatever shack she is residing in, I will ground you for life. That's five hundred plus years of living under my thumb."

Carson's golden skin was a molten red as he pinched his thumb and forefinger together, not realising that the action alone was Comical. I so badly wanted to laugh but Kai needed my help and so I finally made my presence noticeable.

"I wouldn't exactly call his mother a devil" I chuckled, stepping further into the hall but Carson barely moved his eyes away from a profoundly sweating Kai.

"No she is so much wor-" his voice crackled off as his big grey eyes bulged out. "Vanya?" He stammered, mouth hanging open.

"Dada," called Winter, her arms outsterching for him. Carson's anger all but disappeared as he took her into his arms, smothering her face in kisses and causing her to squeal in joy.

"Hello, baby girl," he smiled. Bouncing her in his arms.

"What are you doing back here so soon. I thought you needed some time?" His eyes were full of joy but I could see was unsure if my stay here was permanent or if we were just passing by.

"I did need time but I suppose something's can't wait." Kai sent me a knowing look, his face pensive at how my news would be received.

There was only so much of my bump I could hide and clasping Kaiser in a tight hug had seen that all my concealing had gone to waste.

"Maybe, we should go somewhere?"

I nodded to outside and he reluctantly followed after handing Winter to Kai.

"Is everything okay?" His voice wavering as he stared anxiously at me.

"We are fine it's just that... Carson-"

I wasn't sure how to tell him. If I even should right now. I still needed time to come to terms with this but at the same time, refusing to tell Carson would only allow me to continue avoiding my reality.

I needed to stop it and just face the facts. I was pregnant and I didn't know how to feel about it.

"Vanya," he called, handing waving in my face to grab my attention.

"Sorry, my mind went elsewhere." I whispered dazedly. My mind still there and not quite in the present.

"Does this have something to do with what you wanted to speak to me about?"

His fingers rubbed through his wild curls and I felt an untameable need to replace his hand with my own. I wanted to be close to him, to be comfortable enough around him that such gestures wouldn't be weird between us.

"Vanya," he called again, exasperation clear in his voids.

"Here, take a seat." He sighed leading me to a bench and encouraging me to sit.