volume two

"It's crap I know

"It's crap I know." 

"It's not crap, it just needs some help. Lucky for you, I'm wonderful help." Eliza reassured as she shifted between the several sheets of paper in her hands. 

The brunette sat in the passenger seat of Steve's car, reading over the essay he planned to submit for his college application. The girl was surprised at first that he'd asked her to be the one to look over it, but then he admitted that he was nervous to ask Nancy for help because he didn't want her to think he was stupid. Eliza knew Nancy would never think that, but she couldn't deny herself the opportunity to spend more time alone with Steve. It was wrong and she felt immensely guilty for it, but her first instinct was to accept when Steve asked for help. 

"Can I mark on it?" Eliza asked, glancing over to Steve for his approval. 

The boy looked defeated as he nodded to her. 

"Okay, so in the first paragraph you use the basketball game versus Northern as a metaphor for your life, which is great." 

Eliza found herself wanting to compliment him as much as possible. She didn't want Steve to think she was talking down to him or trying to change his entire essay. Crushes were stupid that way. She'd never felt like this for any guy before. Sure, she'd thought a boy was cute in the past and she'd even been on a few dates, but nothing ever went that far. Her feelings for Steve were more progressed than that and it bothered her to no end. 

"But then around here," She circled a part of the paper. "You start talking about your grandfather's time in the war and I guess I just don't understand how the two are connected?" 

"It connects because, you know, we both won," Steve mumbled.

Eliza wasn't sure how to respond to his comment. He wasn't wrong per say, she just worried that he'd be denied admission. She wanted Steve to go to college if that's what he wanted. She hated to think about him holding back because it was easy and settling for a life that he wasn't meant for. 

"Do you think I should start from scratch?" 

"No, no. I mean when's the deadline?" Eliza asked.

"It's tomorrow for early application," Steve replied. 

Eliza nodded and began looking over the papers once again, trying to find the simplest way of helping the boy out without completely redoing the paper herself. 

"Could you help me tonight?" He asked. 

She was incredibly surprised by the request, but tried not to show it on her face. The thought of helping Steve out with his paper wasn't particularly exciting, but the idea of spending even more time with him was. She hated that her little crush was getting out of hand. 

"Don't you have that dinner thing tonight with Nancy?" Eliza reminded him, mostly just to save herself from having to explain why she couldn't spend even more time alone with him.