volume three

The next day Eliza sat in the library with Nancy and Steve

The next day Eliza sat in the library with Nancy and Steve. She sat across from the boy, scribbling notes down on her homework and trying to ignore the closeness of their feet under the table. Every few moments Steve would shift in his seat and cause his feet to brush against hers. When that happened, he would glance up and grin at the girl before going back to his work. Briefly, Eliza considered pulling her legs up under her in her chair, but then Steve knocked his foot against hers again and she didn't want to anymore. 

She may not have known a lot about friendships, but she was sure playing footsie with your friend's boyfriend while sitting right beside her was not good. 

Nancy got up to sharpen her pencil and didn't return for several minutes. Eliza frowned and glanced around, looking for her friend around the library. 

"Shouldn't Nance be back by now?" She asked, brining Steve's attention to his girlfriend's disappearance. 

"Yeah, I wonder where she is," He replied. 

The two stood from their table and began looking around the library for her. They found her standing at the pencil sharpener, seemingly in some kind of daze as she stared at a girl's back and continued spinning the sharpener. 

"Nancy," Eliza murmured as she approached her friend, gently laying a hand on the girl's shoulder. 

Nancy came out of her daze and frowned at the two of them. Steve sighed and then gently grabbed Nancy's hand, leading her to an empty room in the library and closing the door behind them. He sent Eliza an apologetic smile over his shoulder as they went, but it didn't stop the pang of rejection from erupting in the girl's chest. She reluctantly returned to their table and tried to continue on her homework, but she couldn't ignore the fact that this wasn't the first time Nancy and Steve were more than a little secretive with her. 

She'd noticed several strange things since her family's arrival in Hawkins. It started with the weird story about Jack's new friend coming back to life and then continued with her brother and her friends acting weird all the time. Jack was clearly keeping something from her. At first, Eliza just assumed it was silly little brother stuff, but one night she overheard him on his walkie-talkie whispering with Mike about someone named El and whether she was alive or not. 

Eliza grabbed her notebook and began writing down any of the details she remembered from the conversations she'd overheard and been told. 

El- Is she dead or alive? Who is El? 

Will disappeared "in the woods" for several days last year and is still being treated for something. What happened to Will when he was gone? 

What happened to Barbara? 

Eliza closed her notebook when she heard Steve returning to the table. She glanced up at him and offered him a small smile, though anyone could notice that it didn't reach her eyes. Steve thought briefly about apologizing for the secrecy, but he remembered the strict orders they were under to remain quiet about the occurrences of the last year.