Make it Through the Lies

Lily's POV

It wasn't until the day I arrived that I knew I had misjudged the capitol's beauty. They may treat us unfairly, slaughter us, hang us, but their city is way beyond beautiful, its magnificent. I realize now, this was the moment I had to make an impression, I had to make myself look strong, and no matter how I felt, my emotions will need to be put aside.

"Children!" Sydney screeches. "Hurry up, the stylists are waiting!"

"Don't let them change you, Lil."

They won't. I'll make sure of it. I won't let them turn me into something I'm not. I will not be the prey, not this time. I have made several mistakes in my life, deathly even. I killed someone. I killed my brother. I couldn't save him, it's my fault he's dead now, and I won't kill anyone else. If they kill me, they'll live with that regret all their lives, I can't live with any more regret.

"What will they do?" I ask Sydney while looking at the window. I have no sympathy for her. Her people are the ones that kill innocent children every year, just for entertainment and money. She's like the rest of them, they all are.

"Dear, they're here to help you." She answers as she dismisses me with a glance. Help me? How could someone from the capitol be willing to help me? They all want me dead, if not, why am I Here?

"To fight for your life" Colin answers with a knowing glance. "I just assumed that was what you were thinking." He adds while watching my puzzled expression.

"Hurry up!" Sydney bellows. Sam jumps in fright and I wince. "We're going to be late, and you can't miss the parade!"

I can see loads of lights throughout the city, it makes you feel alive. But my heart shatters to pieces the moment I realize this is not my reality, this is not the way I was meant to live. Even if I win, I'll go back to District 4, and every year I'll have to watch how children, that I mentor are killed due to the Capitol's hate and cruelty. I would go back and watch how innocent children starve to death, while here, they've got a drink that helps you puke and makes you eat more food until you're tired.

"Hello, Lily." a voice says. I turn around and face a man with blond hair and big green eyes. My stylist. I am relieved he doesn't look like many citizens of the capitol do, it makes me feel that somehow I am speaking to a normal person right now.

"Nice to meet you." I nod back in greeting while I extend my hand to shake his.

"So, are you a fan of a lobster?" he asks randomly as he starts to inspect my hair and my nails. Lobster? He can't be serious! I'm not going to go out there dressed as some lobster. No way! "It has nothing to do with the costume, I promise." he adds while laughing at my disgusted expression.

"Thank god." I mutter under my breath. "Are you here to help me, then?" I ask loudly.

"I'll try my best, Lily." he adds while smiling weakly, but his eyes turn sad while he starts to pace around. "Just so you know, I'm on your side," My side? "But I can't fight for you, that, you'll have to do yourself."

I know. That's why I'm here alone. I'm not supposed to trust anyone, but I trust Sam anyway. I hope I'm not making a mistake, friends can deceive you, I know that now. They use you, and when they're done, they betray you, as simple as that. What really terrifies me, is killing Sam. Ian will never speak to me again, my sister will view me as a killer and even my parents will be too afraid to even yell at me. I'll be alone, and it will make me feel the need of dying.

"Aren't you such a cutie?" a woman says as she enters alongside two other girls. I break out of my inner thoughts as each of them hug me and smile at me cheerfully. I turn stiff as I refuse to hug back and push them away from me while shaking my head in disgust.

It was torturous having to watch how Sparkle and Glitter combed my hair, but it hurt more how they tried to remove the small amount of hairs on my legs with a razor. It was exhausting and painful as I struggled to break free from their strong grip. After many hours of yelling and pleading, they managed to let me go, only to be escorted to a room that contained my costume.

"Patience, sweetie." Sparkle...or Glitter says. I'm not sure which, they're identical. "You will look marvelous." she adds while squealing.

"Don't call me that. Only my mother used to call me that." I said coldly. She recoils and smiles sadly at me. With fake pity. It is obvious, even to my eyes. They don't feel a thing, they just act like they do.

"I'm really sorry this happened to you. Not all of us are like them. Some are different. I don't want you to view me like that." Glitter-or Sparkle-adds while her eyes fill with tears. "Excuse me." she says as she brushes past me and goes to the restrooms.

"We're ready." My stylist says as he approaches the door slowly, after choosing a key. He carries several boxes that all contain hats and gloves, too big for me, I hope.

"What's your name?" I ask, as I realized I had forgotten to ask before.

"Eric. Nice to properly meet you." he replied while opening the door. Eric. A normal name at least.

"Why is your name so normal?" I blurt out before I can stop myself. Eric laughs as realization covers his eyes. I feel stupid as I hang my head in shame and look at the floor.

"Not all of us have weird names, you know. Some people from the capitol are actually what you consider to be ...normal." He said back while chuckling silently.

"Anyways, now this is your dress." He adds while he reveals a lovely blue and green dress that seems made similar to Greek dresses that women used to wear in ancient times. Not bad. It's actually very lovely and comfortable to wear.

"You look lovely dear." Sparkle adds as she attaches the final touches to my dress. I look in the mirror, and am amazed by my reflection. I never realized I could look pretty, I didn't even know I was pretty. But this is my moment, this will determine my future, and somehow this will determine if I live or not.

Then we make our way down to the ground level of the Remake Center, which is like a huge stable.

"We look ancient." Sam says as he joins me on the carriage. He wears a similar costume to mine, both the same color and design. I burst out laughing despite my nerves and started shaking my head in mock disappointment at Sam. "What are we?"

"We wanted to make you Amphitrite and Poseidon, the god and goddess of the sea." Eric says as he fixes my dress and braids my hair.

"Sam." I start saying despite my nerves. "I know we weren't friends, but I would like you to know, that you don't have to be afraid. I won't kill you." He has to know, he reminds me so much of my brother, and somehow if kill him, I would be killing my brother all over again.

Sam opens his mouth to speak, but soon is interrupted by the loud horn. The parade has started.

"Its time to impress, kiddos." Eric yells.

It sure is, Eric. And I won't let this moment go to waste.