A Dead Love - Devin

He thought she would come back. She didn't. All through the games he watched her; he watched her cry over the death of her friends, and his heart ached as Mackenzie struggled through her time in the arena.

Devin kept telling himself that Mackenzie would come back. That she would soon be back in District 8 with him. That he would be able to hold her and kiss her again like he used to.

But it didn't happen. She was gone.

He expected her to make it. Maybe she really did have a fighting chance or maybe he was just convincing himself so he could sleep at night. Either way it couldn't be helped, she was dead, another victim to the games. Devin had watched her mourn over the death of a little girl named Olive. He saw how much she cared for her, and it was just as if it were her own sister Isabelle.

After the games he mourned for days. Not eating, not sleeping, barely living. Devin's mother would try to get him to live again, but it was no use. He broke down, not realizing how much he depended of Mackenzie, not realizing how much stronger it made him when he could be there for her.

Weeks later he remembered Kenzie's family. Her Grandmother had since joined a group of other women who were constantly with her, helping her cook and get through life. She never realized how much she had needed Mackenzie's help in her old age. She missed her.

Isabelle, on the other hand, was left alone. she would sit on her bed day after day not knowing the truth about what really happened to her older sister. One of her Grandmother's friends had told her that Kenzie had moved away and for awhile Isabelle believed it.

Then Devin showed up. Told Mackenzie's Grandmother he would take Isabelle. Isabell' Grandmother sadly agreed, and seeing how Isabelle reminded her so much of Mackenzie, sent her with Devin. He took Isabelle, and treasured her. She reminded him so much of Kenzie and he kept her as close as an older brother keeps his little sister. Devin and Isabelle lived with Devin's family for awhile but as the reaping drew nearer Devin panicked. Isabelle was not yet old enough to be eligible but he had suffered to much because of the games.

Some might say he was trying to run from the past. But the truth was that he was wounded. Whatever the reason, he ran. Taking Isabelle with him; away from the District, but most importantly, away from The Hunger Games. No one knew where they went. And no one would for years to come.

During the pain he felt, and for long after Mackenzie's death people would tell Devin one thing:

You never know how much you love someone until they're gone