chapter 49

three weeks later....

reader pov

I was in the middle of making dinner when I heard the door handle jiggle. the click told me that it was unlocked and I heard it open. "I'm home!" chimed ging as he walked in for the umpteenth time. I laughed. I don't know why he still does that. it makes no sense to me. "welcome back. I'm making sloppy joes for the night," I said as I stirred up the meat mix in the pan. it was almost done. 

he put up his things and headed into the kitchen. he was smiling. it was actually a bit unusual how bright his smile was. "did something neat happen at work?" I asked. he leaned over the island in the kitchen. "naw. work was same as always," he said as he pulled up his seat. "whats with the big smile then?" I asked as I started laying the food out. gon was spending then night over a friends for the weekend so, once again, it was just me and my bro. I was actually planning on heading out on the town. we haven't really had the opportunity to go out and enjoy ourselves since I was busy with the planning. now that that is pretty much over with, its just a matter of time. we have to play the waiting game. 

he chuckled. "whats so unusual about being happy?" he asked, a big grin crossing his face. I just shrugged. I guess its no big deal. I put the mean into a nice bowl and combined it with the other ingredients to make the sauce. I made some extra for lunch tomorrow. I dug out some buns and cheese and spread them on the island, where we usually eat when its just us. "enjoy," I said, taking my seat next to him. 

"so....what do ya have planned for the weekend?" he asked as he took a big bite out of his sandwich. "eh...nothing major. I figured we'd go out since we haven't really had time to do so in a while," I said. he seemed to think about it. "we went out last weekend, didn't we?" he asked. "not really. we just went to a bar and got so drunk that we needed to call an uber back home. that's not really going out," I said. he chuckled. "well if it has anything to do with drinking; count me out. I think I'm still a bit drunk from last weekend," he said, knocking back his glass of soda. 

we ended up shooting the breeze while we ate. he told me some stuff that was happening at his job while I updated him on the job hunt. I found a nice company that is offering a position similar to my old one. the salary is about the same, the bonus is shit compared to what I used to get, and it doesn't have a seat in the brass but....its work. ive pretty much got to start from the ground up from this company. the good news is that its closer to the house I planned to move into once this is all over. 

he cleaned his plate, letting out a frat-boy style belch as he rubbed his stomach and a long sigh of satisfaction. "I swear ya spoil me, babe," he patted my shoulder. I just laughed as I gathered up the dishes and started washing them. "how about we stay in this weekend? who says we have to go out to have a good time, right?" he offered as he watched me clean the kitchen. "I mean...its fine with me but there isn't much we can really do. I got some games and tv but that's about it," I said as I started drying and putting them away. I heard the creak of his stood as he scooted out of it. "well...I know of a few things that we could do," he said.  

I reached over to put the last dish away. when I closed the cabinet back, I turned and we met with ging. he placed his hands on the side of my face and pulled me closer, pressing his lips against mines. 

he pulled away slowly, releasing the suction until a popping noise echoed through the kitchen. he had a grin on his face that was actually starting to get to me. he looked into my eyes for a while. he went to kiss me again but....I stopped him with a finger. he seemed confused. 

"....lets....lets not do this, ging," I said. 

I had my reservations about this from the beginning but it didn't really dawn on me until now. I haven't heard anything about a lady friend from ging pretty much since that last woman he was with who he said was ugly. I know he went out, even though I couldn't. he was go to bars and stuff and drink. "what? why not?" he asked.