24.

Makaela muscles strained as she struggled to keep her shield charm up. It would only be able to withstand a few more attacks before shattering. Ulrich, Igor, and the other two Shades sent spell after spell at her and Sebastian.

Stunning and blasting spells redirected off of shield and into the white walls, leaving smoldering patches in a few of Jasper's paintings.

"Do you have any idea how much money those cost!" he shrieked as he cowered behind his desk.

Jasper shrieked and ran over to his marred decorations. "Be careful you idiots!"

The effect of whatever was in the wine he gave her had worn off. Adrenaline and vitalae rushed through her veins, sending her fight or flight instinct into hyperdrive. Adrenaline was pumping through her veins. Her eyes were alert, her body prepared for battle.

A gust of wind shot out from her hand and pinned a Shade against the wall. She followed it up with a stunning charm. The dark magician fell to the ground.

Sebastian threw a segmentis spell at Igor, the green bolt nearly ripping through the man's skin. Instead, it tore through his robes, revealing his hairy chest. Growling, Igor lashed out with a wild burst of black energy. Sebastian dove to the ground before quickly springing back up with his dagger in hand. Releasing a guttural battle cry, he swiped mercilessly at the burly Shade. Igor dodged his strikes with ease. For a heavy man, he was quick on his feet.

Separating himself from Sebastian, he held his hand out. The purple mark in his hand pulsed. A medieval mace materialized in his hand, the spiked ball hanging from an iron chain.

Certain magicians got extremely lucky when it came to their vayrirs. The object a magician received at birth was completely random. Those who were blessed with glorious weapons like spears and broadswords grew up to become battlemages or members of the Eldai. Magicians like Remy, whose vayrir was a bronze playing card, seldom called upon their vayrir.

Makaela had gotten lucky with her khopesh. It was just a shame she never bothered to train with it. Swords weren't her style. She preferred lightweaving and battlemagic.

A stunning spell whizzed past her, nicking her ear. She stumbled a bit, her eyes watering from the slight pain. She grit her teeth.

Stay focused.

She faced her attacker. Curling her index and ring finger, she quickly did the sequence for her a spell she recently learned from her father's spellbook. Three shards of light hovered before her. She swiped her hand, sending the glowing blades into her targets.

They found their marks.

The Shade dropped, screaming as they clutched their bleeding chest. Makaela felt nothing but hate for them. There was no time to revel in her victory anyway. Another Shade was coming straight for her.

She staggered forward. Her energy and vitalae were fading fast. She could feel blood beginning to soak through her shoulder bandage again. Pain rippled down her arm. Any more taxing spells and she ran the risk of passing out.

It was time to be smart.

She rushed the Shade, getting close enough to prevent getting hit with any magic. Taking advantage of their surprise and her own inebriation, she launched herself at them. With their limbs tangled together, they crashed into Jasper's desk. The Shade's head clipped the edge of the table.

They didn't move after that.

"The décor!" Jasper cried.

Breathing heavily, Makaela pulled herself back to her feet. Her head felt like it was splitting open. Things could've been worse-she could've been the one unconscious on the floor.