Greater Influence Of The Lesser Known Women Of The Bible

There are lessons to be learnt from every character in the Bible. However, we habitually focus on the popular characters such as Adam, Eve, Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, Joseph, Esther, Mary, Paul, Peter, John and the rest. (I do not want to include the Lord Jesus Christ as one of the 'characters,' for HE is the central theme of the Bible.)

Examining the life of every popular character in the Bible to gain vital life lessons is appropriate, but do we then surmise that there is nothing much to be learnt from the lesser known characters of the Bible? I do not think so.

A Christian woman is the most vital cog of the Christian family (cf. Proverbs 31: 10-31). Hence, let us examine the lives of a few lesser known women in the Bible and the potential influence they can be on us.

Job's Wife

Job's wife is an infamous example of do-not-be-like-that-person. Apart from the more popular Eve, who is often crowned as the cause for the fall, Job's wife, being lesser known, would still adorn the Biblical Hall of Shame.

St. Augustine referred to her as "the devil's accomplice" and John Calvin labeled her as "a diabolical fury." What did she do to merit such wrath? She exhorted Job to dispense with his integrity and curse God, "Are you still maintaining your integrity? Curse God and die!" (Job 2:9, NIV). It was also quite possible that she threw a tantrum at Job during his severe trial, for Job said, "My breath is offensive to my wife..." (Job 19:17, NIV).

We cannot curse God under any circumstance. We cannot motivate anyone to dispense with their integrity. Nevertheless, Job's wife cannot be relegated to the Bible's infamous Hall of Shame, for there is a very good lesson to be learnt from her life.

The Bible narrates three devastating events that occurred in her life. These, certainly, would have inflicted severe emotional trauma upon her. Consider these events:

(1) She experienced severe financial loss (Job 1: 13-17).

(2) Her children died (Job 1:18-19).

(3) Her husband Job was inflicted with extremely painful illness (Job 2:12 & Job 3).

These events and the consequential emotional trauma could have motivated her to advise Job to curse God and die. But there is a significant point to note. God did not rebuke Job's wife as HE rebuked Job's friends (Job 42: 7-9). Instead, when God blessed Job, HE also indirectly blessed her. In other words, she shared in Job's blessings:

(1) She gave birth to ten more children (Job 42: 12-15).

(2) She shared the "doubled wealth" that God blessed Job with (Job 42:10).

Hence, we deduce that she was faithfully present with her husband during his most painful period of his life, serving him, to the best of her abilities, to endure the most severe trial of his life. To not cause the spouse further emotional trauma during severe trials, and to diligently serve the spouse with faithful service and constant encouragement to enable a successful triumph over trial is a beautiful lesson taught by the life of Job's wife.

Lois & Eunice (Acts 16:1-3; 2 Timothy 1:5; 3:14, 15)

Paul, in his letter to Timothy, extols the faith of Timothy's mother and grandmother to an extent where he says that their faith has brought about Timothy's faith, "I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lo′is and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you." (2 Timothy 1:5, RSV).

When women display exemplary spirituality, which in this instance was faith in God, that faith will certainly be rubbed off on the other members of the household. The lives of Lois and Eunice contributed to the enriched spiritual life and diligent service of Timothy. As Paul testifies, Timothy is the spiritual derivative of his grandmother and mother, "But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus." (2 Timothy 3:14-15, NIV).