Chapter 28: The Morality of Law

Harmony stood in the vestibule by the police bullpen. She could still see her friends through the oblong windows in the swinging doors that separated the bullpen and the lobby. Lela and Trevor were filling Cairo in as he finished up a piece of apricot tart Cecilia packed for him.

Burnt coffee swirled around Harmony as she wrapped a curly tendril around her finger. Buffed dress shoes and patent leather pumps shuffled over the marred faux wood floor as weary-eyed detective kept pushing through their workload fueled by caffeine and adrenaline.

Harmony tried to overhear what Laurent was saying to the detective—a woman that didn't look to be over thirty-five with a sleek ponytail, gold-rimmed glasses, and all navy ensemble. She nodded to the words Laurent uttered then gestured for the uniformed officer standing by the door to speak up.

The words the three were saying was swept up in the other conversations leaking from the door-less offices forming a unanimous purr.

The doors behind Harmony swung open as she craned her ear closer to the office picking up the words assault, felony, and trial.

"Ms. Monroe." The utterance of the name from the orotund voice caused Harmony to regain her composure and turn around.

"Mrs. Turner." Harmony pulled her finger out the strand of hair leaving behind a Shirley temple curl at the corner of her scrutinizing eyes. "What are you doing here?" She scrolled her eyes over her boss in the red jumpsuit fitted on her lean body. "I thought you were with your..." Harmony held her waist firmly as she stilled on her boss' clasped lips. "With the Junior Partner." She swallowed the name she was going to speak and called him by his titled instead since she was already told not to bring up the name of Mrs. Turner's sidepiece.

Mrs. Turner pushed the mass of coiled locks behind her ear revealing diamond teardrop earrings, "A client of mines was assaulted." Her black eyes framed with long eyelashes scanned over the faces in the bullpen. "I'm here to see what's going on with the suspect...see if the suspect has been charged. But you know what?" She fitted her gold clutch under her arm placing her eyes on Harmony as her voice lifted with excitement. "You're here...so you can get all the information I need."

"I'm actually here for my friend," Harmony exclaimed with a glance over her shoulder and Alyssa wasn't in sight. She planted her eyes back on Mrs. Turner and was rewarded with a hard gaze. "But...I can check on that too."

"Good." Mrs. Turner sternly answered, clasping her mocha hands together. "Cause the trial's next month and I need to be up to speed."

Harmony pulled her cell from her dress pocket, "What's the name?"

"The suspect's name is Alyssa Sasa—"

"Wait. Hold up." Harmony held up her hand stopping Mrs. Turner's words. "Your new client is Jacob Richards." Her hands started the tremble from the anger burning in her belly. "The rapist." She spit out.

"Alleged."

"It's not alleged." Harmony sneered trying hard to keep her composure with her boss. She took a deep breath hoping it would stifle her temper. "He raped her. I know this because Alyssa Sasaki is my best friend and she doesn't make false claims."

"Um." Mrs. Turner nodded with her plucked eyebrows brushed up. "The suspect is your friend. I hope that won't be a problem when I go to court." She tilted her head studying Harmony with hawkish eyes. "I can still count on you to do your job, right?"

Harmony shook her head lightly, "I don't know if I can persecute my friend." She rubbed her hand down her mouth, "He's guilty."

"It isn't my job to determine guilt." Mrs. Turner squared her shoulders, standing tall with the confidence that being the winnest lawyer at her firm bestowed her with, "I defend my client and Ms. Sasaki isn't my client." She shrugged empty of compassion. "Jacob Richards is and if that's a problem...then—Ms. Monroe, I think you should rethink your career as a lawyer."

"So, since I don't want to defend my friend's rapist I shouldn't be a lawyer." Harmony tsked with a roll of her eyes. "The job is to seek justice."

"The job is to win cases." Mrs. Turner rebutted raising her voice a little higher. "Not crusade for righteousness." She glanced down at her gold wide-faced watch, "So, do your job because interns are numerous." She turned on her heels and pushed opened the door then looked back. "Ms. Monroe, you will be a great lawyer just don't let your notion of morality get in the way."

Harmony watched the door swing once Mrs. Turner was gone, "Says the woman that's screwing around on her husband." She humped.

"Whose doing what?" Laurent asked sidling next to Harmony, with his sight trained on the door then gazed down at her faraway eyes. "What's wrong?"

Harmony shrugged weakly looking down at her clear nails, "Apparently, I'm not ruthless enough to be a lawyer."

What should Harmony do? Work with Caroline Turner to help her win Jacob Richard's case or quit?