Chapter 30: A Distant Memory

Spring Break in Nantucket was a good idea and Lela didn't take it too seriously when Trevor suggested it. She moaned out a yes as she rode him while reaching her peak of ecstasy in the early morning hours just before the sun rose. Fresh out of the shower; dabbing her wet body with the towel she discovered him at his desk typing his card number in and with a quick tap of the enter button he'd gotten a confirmation for two first-class tickets to Massachusetts.

Lela wanted to tell him to get a refund—that they should go to South Padre Island like they always did but the way his smile spread across his face meeting his sparkling eyes she couldn't do it. She faked glee, wrapping her arms around his neck and planting a kiss on his cheek instead.

She lost her will to speak as her mocha eyes peered at the swift waves splashing against the ferry as it crossed the Nantucket Sound. Her stomach rocked from the remembrance of past experiences swarming into her mind as the salty wind whipped across her face picking up her baby hair.

"Beautiful isn't it." Trevor remarked nudging her shoulder with his.

Lela flicked her eyes over at the taupe sandy beach under the light blue sky appearing white against the rays of the sun, "Indeed it is."

Trevor pushed his shades to the top of his head stopping the wind from combing through his locks, "Are you okay, cause...you've been reserved since we left Austin?" He stopped leaning against the rail turning his torso to her. "You know you can tell me if you're feeling—"

"I'm fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Trey." She snapped whipping her eyes over to him. "I said I'm fine." She bit out.

Trevor leaned back on the rail watching the lighthouse as they passed by two men casting fishing lines, "She says she fine." He quipped to himself. "Even though she hasn't made an itinerary for today so when this ferry stops..." He gestured his arm to the dock that was a mile away. "We'll have no plan."

"This is your trip." Lela pointed two fingers in his direction as she stood up straight. "You wanted to come here." She clung to the rail as the boat swayed, the windswept over her body pressing her black tank firmly against her stomach.

Trevor narrowed his eyes gazing at her like jewelry inspecting the clarity of a diamond, "You're not telling me something. What is it, Lee?" He leaned into her, "Are you having an episode. You can tell me" He softly inquired.

"Everything is not about my OCD!" She outburst then glanced behind her to see if the people at the other end of the ferry heard them but the roaring motor concealed their conversation to just them.

"Then what's it about." His shoulders were squared in his gray t-shirt and his hand fitting in the pocket of his navy shirts with a gaze piercing into her. She knew he wasn't going to back off this line of questioning until she gave him the truth.

Lela let out an exasperated sigh dropping her head back looking up at the cloudless sky, "You...know I'm not from the Southside of Chicago, right." She peered at him honestly and he nodded. "I grew up in a penthouse that overlooked Lake Michigan. My dad is the CFO of Walcott Bank of Trust and my mom is the marketing manager for Blackmoore department store." She faced him completely as the docked came within yards of them, "I had an au pair, went to private school—pleated skirt included, and every summer we vacationed in The Cape until..." Her eyebrows brushed up with a faux sense of enjoyment plastered on her face. "Until..." She tried to clear the burning in her throat from the sorrow that was harbored in her heart. "Until I was the crazy girl that tried to commit suicide then my parents left me behind with the Au Pair that spoke French." A language she still didn't know fluently.

"They left you behind."

"People talk especially...after your daughter's found unconscious on the bathroom floor then goes to a mental hospital." Tears roll over her eyelashes and she looks down.

He lifted her chin and found her eyes, "This isn't Cape Cod. This Nantucket. No one knows your history here."

"The bourgeoisie talk and their circle's small..." She pulled her chin from his hand. "And tight-knit. I haven't been on the East Coast since I left home."

"People will talk no matter what...they will whisper but we don't have to care." He placed his hand on her waist and drew her body against his, "We don't care...to hell with them. This trip is about you and me, that's it." He leaned lower and found her lips kissing her softly. "I want to show you a part of my life and hopefully you'll feel like sharing more of yours with me."

Lela circled her arms around his neck, "It seems like your little plan is working." She grinned up at him.

"Good." He coyly smirked. "So...what do you want to do first?"

She tilted her chin up with her mouth twisted as she pondered. "How about a stroll through town."

"A walk." He gawked at her conspicuously, "Are you sure?"

"Yes." She moved her eyes over to the passengers gathering their things as the ferry eased into the dock. "Then maybe I'll feel like telling you about the time I learned how to sail."

"You sail?" He gripped her waist a little tighter.

"Don't trust stereotypes, Mr. Voss." She tapped his nose. "I'm a fantastic sailor."

"Mr. Voss." His eyes darkened as the corner of his mouth ticked up. "That sounds sexy coming out of your mouth."

Lela bounced up on her tiptoes, "It does, doesn't it."

"Yep." He nodded. "And next year, you'll be a Voss, too."

"Sure will." She matched her lips with his then pulled away as the ferry docked.

It seems like Lela and Trevor have picked a time frame for their nuptials—their senior year. Is that a good time or should they tie the knot earlier?

I think this song describes Lela and Trevor's relationship. What do you think?

 What do you think?