city animals

At the zoo, Tsume looked around with suspicion. "Hmm, this is new. Why would mrs Applebottom bring us here?" she wondered to herself. Her teacher, usually strict and demanding, had not only refrained from kicking Tsume out of class that morning but had also organized this unexpected field trip. The entire class was thrilled to be outside the classroom, enjoying a day among the animals. But then, Miss Applebottom revealed a twist.

"Today's pop quiz will involve drawing an animal that you find interesting," she announced, trying to sound sweet. The entire class glared at her in response.

In her mind, Tsume scoffed, *I knew she was up to something*. Then, unable to hold back, she blurted out, "Lying rat! I knew you'd never take us out without a trick up your sleeve!"

Her outburst made everyone turn and stare as she pointed accusingly at Miss Applebottom, who quickly retorted, "TSUME! FOR YOUR OUTBURST, YOU ALL WILL WRITE A 30-PAGE ESSAY!"

The students exchanged annoyed glances. One boy crossed his arms and challenged, "Get real, we're not going to do that."

"Yeah, you're crazy!" Faiya added.

Mrs Applebottom, infuriated, yelled back, "HOW DARE YOU TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? I'M YOUR TEACHER! NOW DO AS I SAY!"

"This is going to get crazy. I need to get out of here," Tsume muttered, then stood on a bench and shouted at the top of her lungs, "FREEDOM!" The rest of the class joined in, chanting for freedom, overwhelming mrs Applebottom who was at a loss for words.

As the commotion continued, Tsume sneaked away and found Carlos and Phoebe observing some animals. "Hey, guys," she greeted them casually.

"Tsume, what are you doing here?" Phoebe asked, surprised.

"I was about to start a 30-page essay, but I think my class is still debating that," Tsume replied, gesturing toward the noisy group.

"Did you start that to escape, or...?" Phoebe asked.

"I just did it to get her to leave us alone, until I saw you two," Tsume admitted.

Their conversation was cut short as others from the class approached. "Carlos! Phoebe!" someone called out.

Tim came over with a few others. "We've been looking for you guys. Huh, Tsume, what are you doing here?"

"Field trip," Tsume responded, tilting her head.

"With your class? That's new," Wanda remarked.

"Anyway, we should be leaving now; they're closing the zoo," Tim noted, seeing other visitors heading out.

Outside the zoo, Tsume realized she had lost sight of her class. "Crap," she muttered.

"What's wrong?" Phoebe asked.

"I lost my class," Tsume replied, a bit embarrassed.

"Don't worry, you can ride with us, and we'll take you back," Carlos offered warmly, and Tsume smiled in appreciation. Just then, a bus horn honked. Miss Frizzle, dressed in a dark blue dress with city and animal themes, pulled up in the familiar school bus. "All aboard!" she called out.

"Well, are you coming, Tsume?" Miss Frizzle asked when Tsume hesitated.

"That depends... we're going back to the school, right?" Tsume asked cautiously.

"Hmm, that depends," Miss Frizzle replied cryptically.

Tsume sighed and got on the bus, not really having a choice. She was about to sit in the back, but Carlos gestured for her to sit next to him, which she didn't mind. Miss Frizzle sparked conversation on the bus. "So, everyone enjoyed our trip to the zoo? Did you see the possums and falcons and bears, oh my?"