Chapter Six

You don't realise what you want, until it's what you need.

When Mick arrived, Linda almost immediately ran in his arms, barely giving him a chance to put his bag down.
"Linda, it's alright. What's happened?"
Mick sat her down next to him on the sofa as she wept into his chest. Nancy's eyes were watering as she watched her mother break down. She hadn't seen her like this before.
"Linda, talk to me."
She could barely get her words out as she tried to explain that she'd lost everything.
"M-my car and money. They took four hundred pounds, that was supposed to last two weeks whilst Ryan is away."
Mick ran his hand up her back to comfort her. It made him feel sick that he wasn't there for her. He looked over at Ollie, who was also crying.
"Nance, take him upstairs. I'm going to clean your mum up."
Linda barely looked at the kids. She hated that they'd seen her in this mess. Mick looked at her as they disappeared and swept a piece of hair behind her ear.
"I'll get a flannel."
He got up and wet a cloth, then began wiping away her tears. The cloth brushed over a cut on her cheek and she winced, grabbing his arm.
"It's okay."
Mick continued to wipe her face, but she refused, not letting go of his arm. She shook her head at him.
"Just hold me, Mick."
She kicked off her heels and lay across the sofa, her head resting on his lap. One of his hands held her close as the other stroked her hair. It wasn't long before she fell asleep.

Nancy was cooking when Linda woke up. She heard her and Mick in the kitchen talking about what they were going to do with her.
"I'm not a child, I don't need protecting."
Mick saw Linda standing in the doorway of the kitchen. She looked pale, and she was holding the doorframe.
"You feeling any better?"
Linda looked at Mick as he asked. She nodded slowly.
"What's cooking?"
Linda looked over into the pan.
"Curry. Are you having some?"
Linda nodded again as she glanced over at Ollie at the dining table, who hadn't payed any attention to her. He had his head down, scribbling into a colouring book.
"O?"
Ollie didn't move. He didn't even look at Linda and he continued scribbling.
"Ollie?"
"What?!"
His response stunned her. He'd never acted like this before. She walked over to him, followed by Mick.
"What is your problem?!"
Linda didn't mean to shout, but after the day she'd had, patience was something she didn't have. To her surprise, Ollie kicked back and retorted by yelling.
"You're a problem! You always ruin everything! I bet you just wanted to leave me at school today like you left me at Dad's and never came back for ages!"
Linda stepped back as Ollie ran out of the room and upstairs.
"What?!"
Linda was raging. After all, the money she was supposed to take to the bank was to feed him and take him out. She went to follow him, but was held back by Mick.
"Just leave him, L."
She pulled Mick's hand from her arm and continued up the stairs.
"Ollie!"
She attempted to open his bedroom door, but it was locked. She then began banging against it.
"Oliver Carter. Open the door!"
"Linda, you're not helping anyone."
Mick pulled her back by her arms and she struggled against him. She soon settled, her head falling onto his chest.
"I just wanted us to be a family. I didn't want this."
Linda cried silently as Mick held her, tightly. He rested his head on hers and closed his eyes.
"Me too, L. Me too."