ACT 1 SCENE 1

set in 1970s

-

if you ask people on the topic of my popularity, they would tell you - that my work is genuine and sincere. i believe that a good playwright should be able to show instead of telling, to raise awareness and issues throughout the play without it being direct, but instead slipping witty comments within dialogues to dialogues. let the audiences derive their thoughts from it. although it may not seem accurate to what you really wish to express; one thing for certain, is that i've done my job. 

"well. jennie you've done remarkably well on the last play and we can show nothing but pride for you." smirked nora, the producer that had raised my play into being one of the most popular plays in town. businessmen and people around the world came all the way to australia just to witness the real life encounter where my fiction turn to reality.

"don't mention it. thank you nora. i would like to thank, audrie as well. as a co-playwright and a wonderful business partner that has been with me ever since day one - i can't say anything else but thank you. sincerely from my heart. thank you everyone, this has been a journey." i uttered under my shaky voice.

today was the last showing of my debut play after it being showed for almost 6 months. surprisingly, everything went well, but it also meant that expectations of me were raised higher as they had put me among one of the most famous and achievable playwright. it was a great journey, but - pressure would be my major concern out of everything else.

after the meeting, audrie and i walked outside of the national theatre (where most of my plays were showed at), as she unknowingly grabbed my hand and swing it across back and forth. "you did it jennie. you did it. just 21 years old and you've achieved so much. i remembered back then when you were in high school. you were my junior and we used hung out at write scripts together. i can't believe we still managed to stick by and do what we love to do." said audrie in a memorable tone, i can't help but smile at the thought of it.

"it's all thanks to you." i muttered. at first, i came out with an idea to tell a story about a guy who was obsessed about his looks. knowing that beauty will fade, he had decided to cut off his head in order to preserve his handsome features. don't worry, although this sounded gruesome, the main theme in this were meant to be witty and the tone were more humorous, indirectly telling people to not be so full of yourself. 

later, i stumbled upon audrie and knowing that it was a good idea - instead of running away with what i had in mind and claimed it as hers, she decided to co-write it with me. and now "bodies we've embraced" are now a worldwide play that had attracted many international audience. if you tell me, it was pure luck that had it gotten so popular, then you're wrong. it was hard-work, dedication and commitment.

as we walked back to the parking lot, the sky grew darker, with stars as vivid as the shining shimmers, it was supposed to end as a fun cozy night. until, two men stumbled upon us, two tiny women that just wanted to go back home. 

"hey girls. need a ride?" said the lanky figured man. his voice was deep-hoarse, his tongue filled with nothing but flirty remarks. i politely declined, refusing to pick a fight or look intimidated. audrie however looked shaken, her fingers shivered under her frozen breath - quickly, i pulled myself and her away from the men.

but before we could move, another guy beside him, slightly tall-muscled man appeared in front of us, "don't be scared. we're just here to have fun." wanting them to back off i shouted, "leave us alone!" 

hearing upon these words triggered them, causing their hands to grow itchy, reaching to parts of our bodies. with quick reflexes, i grabbed the pepper spray i had longed kept in my bag, and nervously sprayed it all around as my hands tremble to the thought of them being capable of doing something more. 

the spray burned their eyes in slow flame, making them running towards nowhere as they could not have seen a thing. audrie and i ran to our car instead and managed to escape from these people without getting injured. it was a terrible experience to witness, but in times like this - it was considered normal. if you reported a police report on two men trying to grope you, the first thing the cops would do is laugh at you. 

"i fucking hate men." shouted audrie in anger.

"honestly, girls should just exist without the male species and run this world. i would be so much happier." i replied, agreeing and nodding to what audrie said. "men? we don't need them. girls can fall in love and have fun." 

we took a few seconds to recap what i had just said and in that moment, audrie looked really intrigued, as if she had discovered a treasure. "what is it?" i asked her.

"you know how you've been asking yourself 'what's next,' right?" she replied. "maybe you should write about homosexuals. imagine, jennie - the famous rookie playwright writing about the one thing society hates the most. lesbians."

-

author's note: how was this hshshs!!! i'm sososososo sorry i've been delaying the first chapter but it's up and i'm beyond happy on how this turned out :-) do leave some comments so that i'll know what to improve on the next chapter hehe