Three

Three

One month later, the last day of school had arrived. That day Yan He sat down in Ms. Ivanna's classroom, took out her sharpened pencil from her flowered pencil case, and set to work on her Algebra II final, a.k.a. the final that would conclude her freshman year.

Exactly an hour and three minutes later, she was finished. The test was actually pretty easy, luckily; mostly factoring, which Yan He considered herself a master at. She even answered the extra credit problem, one of the most complicated matrix problems she'd ever seen in her entire life.

"Thank you, Yan He! Have a great summer!" the Ms. Avanna chirped, accepting Yan He's outstretched test.

Yan He quietly bade her goodbye, and walked briskly out the door, trying to contain her excitement. However, the moment she had stepped outside the transom, she screamed, "YES!"

"YAAAAAAAAAAAAN HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" IA yelled, bursting in from out of nowhere and throwing her arms around her. Yan He stumbled under IA's weight but managed to catch her.

"Yan He, guess what?"

"What?" Yan He asked with uncertainty.

"WE'RE TENTH GRADERS!" IA screeched. She squeezed Yan He's torso as hard as she possibly could.

"I know! I know!" Yan He shrieked happily, squeezing IA back with equal force. Her grin was so wide it hurt her cheeks.

"I can't believe we made it! It felt like we'd never get out of junior high!"

"Yeah, seriously."

"And now we're SOPHOMORES!" IA hollered, pushing out of Yan He's embrace. "Oh man, I think I'm gonna faint. CATCH ME!"

IA's arms shot out to the side like snowman stick arms. Her body began to fall backward.

"No, don't! Wait!" Yan He protested as she hurried to create a supportive brace with her hands.

"Just kidding!" IA sneered, springing back up and doing a little jig on the linoleum floor.

Yan He shook her head. "You scare me sometimes, IA!"

IA giggled, twirling her pink hair around her finger like a stereotypical ditsy girl.

The doors pushed open and the two girls stepped outside into the warm June air, talking and laughing about their finals and the upcoming class beach party. A light breeze zipped by, ruffling Yan He's blue and white coat. IA clutched her pink skirt in her hands, trying to keep it from flapping about.

A few feet away, IA's older brother IO was waiting in front of his ritzy green car.

"Hello, ladies!" he greeted with a wave.

"Good afternoon, IO," Yan He said politely.

"Are you taking us home, bro?" IA questioned.

"I thought I would, since it's the last day of school," IO answered.

"Thank you very much," Yan He smiled. IA opened the door for her and she climbed into the car. In a few seconds, IA hopped into the seat next to her and crossed her legs regally. IO inserted the key and twisted, the resounding purr of the car rumbling deep within Yan He's chest. The car backed up a few feet, then proceeded to exit the parking lot into the clear street.

"So... what are you doing after this?" IA asked casually.

Yan He raised her eyebrows at the sly tone of the question.

"Um, I think I'm just going home."

"Oh. Okay."

Yan He squinted at IA. "Why do you ask?"