Mom....

"Mom, I am pregnant...." Rory was shaking as she spoke. Her eyes glittering with tears threatening to spring out at any moment. She had always been careful, ALWAYS.

She was responsible and bright so how the hell was this happening. Her head fell into her hands, still sitting at the gazebo.
Lorelei was silent. Not something often that occurs.

Her arm wrapped slowly around her daughter pulling her in close, that's when the tears started to fall.

Rory shook her head as she Molded into her mother, curling into the comforting embrace.

"I don't know what happened mom. I swear I'm always safe. Always." The sobs were soft, barely audible.

"What about the wookie?" Lor tried to lighten the mood a bit, giving Rory a little squeeze.

Her head shot up, wide eyed staring at her mother...

"MOM!" Yelling as quietly as she can, trying not to attract attention from any of the party goers.... the rumour mill would start soon enough. "I was on the pill."

"So how did this happen kid? I mean I know the pill is never 100% but really... ?" Lorelei's arm was still around Rory's shoulders holding her close.

"I don't know," head shaking again, " ok no, I do know, but I just didn't think I guess."

There was silence then. Another very infrequent thing for either of them.

Lorelei's lips thinner into a tight line, trying to offer a smile if she could, "so... Paul's?"

Rory's head shook.

Heavy footsteps approached and both women turned their heads. Luke was walking up towards the gazebo. His face full of question.

"You know Lor, the deed is done, can't have cold feet now." His tone was serious but playful in his own way.

Lorelei's head looked up to him, still silent. It wasn't her place to say
anything.

Rory's eyes met his as she spoke, " I'm pregnant."

The silence continued on.....