1 Waking the dead - Espresso

"John, is Hashton's case settled?"

That was my  boss and godfather of Mafia JR, asking about something which he knows very well completed. By settled, he mean Hashton is dead. Shot right through his head, by none other than yours truly.

"Yes boss" I am a man of few words. A reason why a lot of them fear me even more than they do JR and his son SR. My threats aren't idle one like the father-son duo makes at times. And a reason why their power has significantly risen during the last 15 years is due to my undying devotion to the old man. He once saved my life. And I owe him that much. About SR, I am not sure. It is not to say I wont die to protect both these men, but one has my devotion and the other doesn't.

I am 30, a rough and tough character. I am better looking without a doubt as I never had problems finding a girl I want to f*ck. What is even more amusing is, some don't believe I am capable of destruction. Little did they know, I can put a bullet right through their head after mind blowing sex. That's what makes me, me. No emotions what so ever.

I have been caught by police, other rivalry mafia and authorities surpass police many times. Tortured over and over again. Yet, when I seal my mouth, it is sealed for good. That is why JR has loves me or pretend to love me. There is no love-hate in mafia. We kill and do things no one else capable of. We play cheat death everyday, finally the death catch on us. Either we die by our own people or in the hands of law enforcement unit. But one certainty in mafia is death. A reason why JR has about 20 bodyguards and I have about 5.

"Great. Has the weapons arrived as yet? This has to go to Luis by end of this week. I heard the border petrol has tighten. I leave the rest to you" JR again told me about things he need not do. If one thing is for certain, then it is I know what needs to be done even before it has to be.

"Done boss"

"Kela wants to know if you'd like to take her out. My daughter is lusting after you for the last 15 years John. I would be happy if you both can settle things. I treat you already like a son"

JR has made it pretty clear that he wouldn't oppose to me marrying his daughter Kela, a spoilt, arrogant, small minded little bitch just like her brother. I would willingly give myself to Al-Fons, our rival mafia unit to torture myself and give me a painful death than marry Kela. I once f*cked her but that is when I was naïve about the way things work. Being with that bitch is worse than the most painful death.

"we wouldn't suit boss. But I will think about it" I told him. Not the truth but I don't want to  angering the old man.

"Well, I don't blame you. You can certainly find someone better than her. She is the same as her mother. Look what that has got me in to?" he said empathizing with the situation.

"However, take her to this gala or something she said she wants to attend tonight. It will do you some good to loosen up a bit"

I can only nod. No one says no to JR. Not even me.

"We need the Orphanage matter sorted by 6 months. I need to start work then. I wonder why I gave that work to Stuart, the useless son of mine. He will be the death of me, unless I shoot him one of these days. Get the matter settled" 

I don't like SR and SR doesn't like me. We are clear about that. But we have party hard and done some things that make others cringe, and those are good old days. There was a time we killed even for fun.

Power didn't suit well with SR as it did we with me. Every assignment given to him had to be over looked. And with over looking a massive part of JR's work, I hardly have time to baby sit SR. I wish he would actually shoot SR and done with it. After all, I am more capable than his f*cking son. 

I had my loyal set of guys, who are the only one closer to me, and the ones I care about. Each one means a lot but that doesn't mean I cant shoot any of them if situation arise. I called my right hand Mark to my office.

"Mark, see what the mess  SR has made in this case. I need a report before I sleep tonight" I handed over the file. Now I have to go and get ready for a f*cking gala where I have to take this f*cking bitch who will end up f*cking me otherwise.

I left office at a bad time. If I am to attend this f*cking party, I have to go home in a God forsaken hour where the traffic can literally kill a person or drive him to insanity. Though I have a bullet proof vehicle, it is not always the most comfortable. I badly need a coffee if I am to survive this traffic. I regret not taking the helicopter which is always at my disposal.

"Jay, stop at the coffee shop and get me a coffee" I told my driver. Another loyal guy.

"Boss in this traffic not easy to find parking" he said showing the road ahead, which is true. If he leaves the car, I have to drive the f*cking thing.

"Okay, stay. I will grab a coffee"

I treat my men with respect and dignity. A reason they respect me above fear. It is required, if I am to survive living as long as I planned on living. I got a message and it was Kela. She is one thing I have to watch out. She killed everything I felt for her when she cheated on me. Those days are gone.

I went to the coffee shop where an elder couple seems to be running it. The woman who has a motherly smile, greeted me.

"What can I get you young man?" she asked. Some times it is nice when people don't know me greet me as they do nice people. With warmth.

"Espresso please"

"Dave, please make this handsome man an espresso please. And oh, Doctor Safia is heading this way. Kindly stop teasing her. Looks like another long shift" she told Dave, whom I believe is her husband.

And the coffee shop door opened, while I was waiting for my coffee.

"Hello Martha. Anything to keep me awake please" who ever came in buried her head on the counter, so I didn't see her face. She wore a white coat, and for sure a doctor. Head is covered with a scarf beneath a back color robe the Muslims wear.

"Doctor, I have a headache. What should I take?" Dave who is making my coffee asked the doctor.

"2 bottles of rat poison only for you Dave" she said, and Martha laughed. I smiled. A doctor with a sense of humor.

And she bought my espresso and before I could take it, the so call doctor who tried to poison the coffee maker took it. She sipped it and almost spit it out.

"Dave, I asked you to take the rat poison. Not to poison me" she said looking disgusted.

"That's my espresso" I told her.

And first time she acknowledge my presence. I know I am a good looking man. I never fail to see my faults as well as what I am gifted with. I think she was surprised to see a fully suited man, with tattoos on his visible part of neck right next to her.

"Do you drink that crap?blaaccckkkkkkkkeeeeeeee" she gave me a nauseated sound. "This could wake up the dead. I could work another 18 hour shift. Disgusting stuff. Martha, please add this to my account and give this gentleman another cup of this awful thing you call coffee. I better hurry" she said taking my espresso.

"Another operation doctor?" Dave asked.

"Yes" she said exhausted. And turned to me with a dazzling smile "Sorry about that" she said pointing the coffee.

"It's okay" I smiled back. And watch her leave. She is beautiful from what little I could see in her face. Tall, slim, no make up face, oozing with innocence. She also look exhausted with her work shift. Eyes, oh gosh, emerald green. Amused, I waited for my coffee and return to Jay who was waiting for me.