Prologue

A sharp wind buffeted the gray and white tom's fur as he padded down the hill towards a pale gray tom-cat. He could see the starlight glimmering in his fur getting brighter every paw-step he took closer to him.

When he was within ear shot, the pale gray tom called out to him, "Greetings Cloudstar!"

"Greetings." Cloudstar mumbled. "Why did you summon me and why on a day like this?" He shivered as he finished speaking and sat down.

"I have an important message that you must deliver to Blazestar."

Why couldn't you have just done it yourself? Cloudstar thought. "And what is that message, Skystar?" He said outloud.

Skystar spoke in a small, quiet voice and told Cloudstar what he must deliver to Blazestar. When he was finished, Skystar spoke louder, "Now, go. And Hurry! We haven't got much time!"

Cloudstar angled his ears toward a small cat peering out of a bush. "And what about the kit?"

"I'll deal with her. Now Go!"

Cloudstar raced away, running with the wind, making him go a little faster. His paws barely touching the grass below, he ran until he came to a gorge. He followed one of the many paths down until he reached a sandy den with a dark ginger cat curled up in the moss. Cloudstar padded up to the cat and gently shook the cat's shoulder with his muzzle.

"Wha- hey! You woke me up from my dream. I was SO close to catching this mouse and-" He broke off when he realized he was still in a dream. "Ar-are y-you a st-starclan cat?" He stammered.

Cloudstar let out an amused purr. "Yes, Blazestar, I am from Starclan. I was leader of Skyclan when it was driven out of the Forest Territories."

"Why are you here?"

"I have an important message to give you: 'Times of great change are coming; Seek the other side of the flames, for it is the only way.' Remember this Blazestar, for it's your only hope."