Chapter 5

Cloudmist their mother above! I hope you guys are liking the story so far! Also, just so you know, I wrote the story when I was 13 so sorry if it feels like it's moving really fast...lol

"Fernpaw! Wake up! We going out with Mistyfeather and Skyheart for a bordor patrol!" Prinklepaw declared into her ear.

"Ok, ok. I'm coming! Keep your fur on." she mewed, twitching her ear, annoyed, and stretching her hind legs and forepaws, which were still sore from battle practice the sunrise before.

Fernpaw wearily trekked out of the apprentice den following Prinklepaw, who was bouncing around excitedly. She got a glimpse of Amberki- no, Amberpaw following Fidgetfoot out of camp to gather herbs.

"Fernpaw, come on! If you don't hurry, we are going to be late for our border patrol. Blazestar is going to join us along with Mistfeather and Prinklepaw." Skyheart mewed.

"Ok, great!" No, not great! I don't want to show Blazestar I can't sniff a single rogue." She thought, sighing, as the patrol padded out of camp.

Fernpaw winced as sunlight hit her eyes. A quarter-moon had passed since her apprentice ceremony and she still wasn't used to the sudden brightness.

She glanced up at the trees above her and felt Skyclan's natural instinct to climb them. Then, she remembered that they were here for a border patrol to make sure no rogues or kittypets came into Skyclan territory. They were not here to practice tree climbing.

Fernpaw gazed at the three cats in front of her, silently sniffing bushes and shrubs. Am I supposed to do that? She thought.

Right as that thought came in her mind, Skyheart mewed gently, "Sniff where the border markers are and if you find anything unfamiliar, tell Blazestar or a senior warrior so we can check it out, understand?"

"Understood," Fernpaw murmured.

"Good." Skyheart replied.

Blazestar was taking the lead of the patrol as Fernpaw trailed behind him. Flicking her tail, an unfamiliar scent hit her nose. It smelled musty, almost like the tang of crow-food. Glancing around, she saw nothing except the rustling of leaves being blown by the soft breeze. That's weird. She thought. I can't see anything except trees and my clanmates. She wondered if Blazestar or Skyheart smelled it. All the suddenly she heard the snap of a twig. Whipping around, she gazed straight at a yew Bush. Fear scent started to pour around her in waves from her clanmates. The only one who didn't seem startled was Blazestar. His blazing amber eyes were looking straight where she was searching the bush for danger. In a blurr, three cats exploded through the bush, scattering green leaves in every direction. The three cats landed on top of Blazestar, Fernpaw, and Mistfeather with such a force that it knocked them off their paws.

Prinklepaw and Skyheart leaped into the air like hawks shoving two of the three rogues to the hard ground.

Blazestar leaped up and recovered from his fall. "Climb the trees!" He ordered.

The patrol scrambled up to the lowest branches of the trees next to them. Fernpaw grasped the bark, hauling herself up to the lowest possible branch.

"Hey, where'd they go?" A light brown tabby rogue mewed questionably.

Starting at a murmur, Blazestar yowled, "One... two... three... ATTACK!"

Like flying squirrels, the patrol leaped out of the trees, landing hard onto the rogues' spines below. The rogues shrieked in surprise, crumbling underneath the Clan Cats' weights. Clinging on with unsheathed claws, the patrol dug into the rogues backs until blood oozed from their pelts. The blood trickling onto the green grass, slowly staining it red. Fernpaw stared at it for a heartbeat, thinking: Is that Clan blood, or rogue blood?

Defeated, the rogues backed up from the snarling Clan Cats.

The lead rogue lips drew back into a snarl, "We will be back, and when we will, we will take everything away from you! Including your territory and everything you ever loved!"

Sorry it was another short one..