Chapter 6

At five o'clock the next morning, Four woke us up for more PT as he promised. PT consisted of a run and then some other strength stuff.

“Alright, now, we, well I guess you guys, are going to learn how to punch,” Four said. “The first thing you've gotta be able to do is make a fist.”

Four held up his own fist and I closed my hand tightly.

“If you hold your thumb in the middle of your fist you will break your thumb,” Four said, sending a sharp glance at the egotistical boys who couldn't manage to make a proper fist.

“Peter get up here,” Four called him to the front of the room.

“What?” he asked as he made his way forward.

“Since you know so much about fighting, teach the rest of your classmates,” Four said.

“I don't know that much,” he said.

“But, you still have the audacity to talk while I'm trying to teach you,” Four said.

“I guess so,” Peter admitted.

“Get back in line,” he said. Four then proceeded to explain the basics of punching. He walked up to a punching bag and started to show us how to practice properly.

“Everyone to a punching bag,” Four said. “And get your practice in now because the next time we have a day where we learn about fighting you will actually be fighting.”

Fist at shoulder height. Hit with the square made by your first two fingers. Punch through the target.

“Alex,” Uriah said.

“You're not supposed to be here,” I said.

“Transfers,” Four said. “The Dauntless born are going to help you all practice. We've assigned you all partners, so get to work.”

“Go ahead and hit the target,” Uriah said.

I punched the target and immediately my hand started to hurt.

“Hurts like a bitch,” Uriah said. “You hit with your knuckles. Let me see you hand.”

I held my hand out for him to look at while I tried not to cry.

“Four,” Uriah yelled and Four came running over.

“He hit the target wrong?” Four asked.

“Yeah,” I said.

“He hit with his knuckles,” Uriah said.

“I did tell you not to do that, right?” Four asked.

“Yes, but in my defense I've never hit anything before,” I said.

“Your knuckles aren't broken,” Four said. “I'll wrap them and you can go back to practicing.”

“Sounds good,” I said. Four wrapped my knuckles before sending me and Uriah back to practice.

“Hey, Alex,” Uriah said as we finished up. I was still doing terrible.

“Yeah,” I said, acknowledging him and trying not to take my frustrations out on him.

“I know it's been a rough day, but if you want some extra help I'd be willing to make sure you got through initiation,” he said.

“Thanks, Uriah. I'd appreciate that,” I said. We headed towards the cafeteria in a comfortable silence.

“Hey, how's your hand?” He asked as we got our food and headed to the table.

“Hurts, but the ice is helping,” I said. Uriah started laughing at me as I ate with my left hand.

“I'm sure it'll hurt tomorrow, but you didn't hit with your knuckles again did you?” Four asked.

“Nope. Sure didn't,” I said sarcastically.