Chapter 6

Admittedly, this is a bit of a filler chapter. But, I think it's needed to fill in some blanks so that as we move forward people aren't as confused. Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------

Before Rory realizes it, a year has passed and she and Logan are able to sneak away for an anniversary trip. He meets her in Venice and they spend a week riding in Gondolas, eating their weight in pasta, and savoring the moments with each other. It is, as always, over way too soon and Rory finds herself back in the States. Since a year is past, she and Logan feel more confident in their marriage, especially since it's been mostly long distance, but they still don't know how to go about going public with it.

It is frustrating for both of them. But, neither of them see a solution. Neither do Odette or Rory's grandparents. They have an added stress now of Mitchum and Odette's family pushing for Logan and Odette to get engaged. They have pushed back and put it off, but Rory worries that an engagement announcement is forthcoming.

Thankfully, she has gotten to know Odette over the last year and has come to consider her a close friend. While she can talk to her grandmother about some things, there is quite the generational gap. Having Odette as someone to talk to has helped Rory immensely with any anxieties she has and she has come to consider her a good friend. It certainly surprised Logan, but it definitely surprised her more. She initially wanted to hate Odette because they had to include her in their plan. But Rory has discovered that Odette is well read, articulate, and quite smart.

Rory snaps out of her reverie when her phone rings. She looks down to see Odette is calling. She is at home in Stars Hollow and is thankfully at home alone. Lorelai is at work and Luke is at the diner. She answers, smiling as she greets, "Hey! How are you? I haven't talked to you in ages!"

"I am doing well. How about you, Rory?"

"I'm not doing too bad. To what do I owe this pleasure?"

"Well," Odette hedged, "I have several reasons for calling."

Rory immediately tensed, anticipating a potentially stressful conversation. "What's up?" she asks.

Odette sighed. "Things are not improving with the 'marriage' talks here. My father gave me a prenup today."

Rory sucked a breath in. She knew that this was potentially going to be happening soon, but she hoped they would have longer to prepare and anticipate this day.

Odette continued, "I know that we were all hoping for more time. I am assuming that if I have a copy, Logan will already have one also or will be getting one of his own."

"I honestly can't believe they're already pushing it," Rory told her after a few moments of silence.

"I agree, but I also know that Mitchum and Papa want to make sure they secure everything between us. I am reading over this document and I am worried. If we sign, then we might run into potential problems when it comes to 'breaking up' down the road."

They were silent for a few moments. Eventually, Rory asks, "Can you scan and send me a copy of the prenup? I want to see if my grandfather can possibly look over it or if he knows someone who can to help advise us."

"That's a good idea. I can't believe I didn't already think of that! Once we finish, I will scan it to you."

"Thank you, Odette. I don't think I say it enough to you considering everything you have done for Logan and I this past year."

"Rory, you do not have to thank me. I have come to regard you as one of my best friends over this last year and I am happy to do what I can for the two of you. I should be thanking you for allowing me to break from my societal mold!"