Slam Night

Thursday had finally arrived. Never had a day made Brooke feel so frightened before. The nerves within her were skyrocketing. It was hard for her to keep calm enough to not puke everywhere, but she somehow found it in her to make it to Joe's Coffee Shop without making a complete fool out of herself.

       Once she enters the shop, she roamed around, trying her best to find Jasmine. However, she couldn't find her small frame anywhere. Next thing she knew, there was a huge commotion centering around the stage. This caused Brooke to look up immediately. There, upon the center of the stage was Jasmine in all her beauty. She was wearing a skin-tight black dress that stopped mid-thigh with a slit going down her leg. But the upper part of her dress fit smugly around her top area that it reveal enough cleavage to excite the mind's eye. Brooke swallow hard as she couldn't help the rush of emotions flooding through her. A person has never turned her on this much before, but something about Jasmine changed things. It's as if she knew her beauty was captivating enough and wore the right amount of makeup, and the right clothing to enhance this beauty. There was no way that anybody in their right mind could ever resist the temptation of her, and Brooke was clearly failing miserably at resisting because she felt as if she was salivating just from looking at her. 

Slowly, Jasmine walked to the microphone and cleared her throat loudly:
"Today, in honor of the path that my ancestors craved in history, I wrote a poem titled "To Be Black".  I was inspired by historical events to write it when we were reading about the cruel topics of slavery. It goes a little something like this:

Oppressed. Discriminative.
Why must we go,
Run in hide?
In a world that preaches natural rights. 
Freedom, what is it?
It is nothing but a fragment of a figment.
It's not real.
So you better know the deal,
Or else you're the next one
They're going to kill. 

We're nothing but "property".
Something that we ought to be,
"Because of the presence of our skin".
Something that is skin deep,
Prevents people from seeing the real me.
To know that I'm a human being and not an object that's not to be seen.

Why must you hate?
What did we do?
To suffer from this abuse,
When we are a better you!
Who deem you to be superior?
And us to be inferior.
Is it because of the paleness of your skin?
That reflects the origin of a sin
They're like ghosts,
Haunting us with our every move.
My eyes are now scared to close.
Because no one knows,
When the master will come and go.

This was the first time I realized my skin was a crime.
No matter how much I cried,
No one tried;
To save my life

Now, I'm not afraid of dying. No, I'm afraid of living.
Because every breath I breathe,
It's as if I'm sinning.
Because I'm black.

You know what feels unsafe?
It's being black in America!

However, I am more than a woman
More than a man
When will you understand?
That I'm a phenomenal woman
And I will take a stand
To show you
One day I will dance...
Towards freedom.

      At first, Jasmine was met with silence as the crowd paused to process her words. Then all of sudden, the room exploded with applause as they cheered her on. Brooke stood appalled as she would have never imagined such well-crafted words escaping Jasmine's mouth. It was then Brooke knew that Jasmine was the one for her. Suddenly, Jasmine met Brooke's eye within the crowd and flashed her a cheeky smile.

"By the way, this poem was not written to attack, it's just how I feel sometimes," she said before leaving the stage with a wink.

Brooke's heart stuttered once Jasmine made her way towards her. As Jasmine engulf Brooke into a huge bear hug, she softly whispered in her ear, "I'm glad you made it. I wanted to hear you recite some of your work so bad. I know it will be way better hearing it from your mouth than reading it could ever be."  Brooke was so sidetracked inhaling her soft, sweet, Japanese Blossom scent that she almost didn't catch a word she said.