Type of Speech

Thank you for reading please enjoy!

One of the main things for learning a language would be how you speak. Today's lesson will be formal vr informal speech.
For example English is mostly informal speech when talking to your friends or coworkers, however when speaking to your boss, or superior you speak formally.

So let's try making a sentence!

How would you ask for a cup of coffee?
A. Can I have a cup of coffee please?
B. Let me get a cup of coffee please
C. Let me get a coffee
D. May I have a cup of coffee, please?

If you answered A or D that is formal!

Adding may and can, will be beneficial to your speech. Please is always a nice touch to sound polite as well. I'm not going to give you a lecture on how to speak English rather I will go over how the Enteans speak. Feel free to voice your comments on your ideas or thoughts! This formalizing of. Speech only takes practice!

Alciel

When Alciel speaks Entean he is very formal. And as well in Japanese as well. However over time Alciels speech has been affected. He is defiantly more relaxed speaking to Lucifer rather than in Entean. Due to character development this could be the result of feeling more comfortable and as a family figure so this is not the best example but one to think of!

Lucifer

Lucifer has NEVER been formal in Japanese that I have ran into. An occasional liege is slipped in if he feels like it. But, in Entean he is more serious about the way he talks. For example in earlier age he is more formal towards Satan. You can read this in book 0 although not translated in English you can to try to find an interpreter. This is a good example of formal to informal speech through different languages.

Middle Ages

If you have watched this anime you will notice that they talk like a medieval king, or knight. This was a very well thought out idea developed by the creators! Much like Europes Middle Ages in our world they have the same type of environment and speech!

Common middle age terms

1. Acclumsid: numbed, clumsy.
2. Aceasecomic: One whose hair was never cut.
3. Acopon: A southing salve, poultice, or plaster to relieve pain.
4. Adam's Ale: A humorous term for water, the only drink for Adam and Eve.
5. Afterling: An inferior
6. Agrum: A swelling of the cheeks or mouth.
7. Agauw: To horrify, to cause shuddering.
8. Aletude: Obesity, bodily fatness.
9. Ataballes: Kettle-drums.
10. Backstress: A female baker.
11. Bedswerver: A person unfaithful to the marriage in bed
12. Beek: to bask in the sun or before a fire.
13.  Bellibone: A lovely maiden, pretty lass.
14. Bell-penny: Money one saves for his own funeral.
15. Bellytimber: Food.

These are just a few head to this website to see them all!

http://www.citrus.k12.fl.us/staffdev/social%20studies/PDF/Medieval%20English.pdf

Practice:
Can you phrase the sentence correctly?

A. The smell of the rose is good.
B. The rose smells well
C. The rose smells wonderful
D. The way the rose smells is great

A. The arm was cut badly
B. The arm has been cut badly
C. The arm cut was bad
D. The arm has been injured badly

A. The rows of seats fell down yesterday
B. The rows of seats had fallen yesterday
C. Rows of seats fell yesterday
D. Many rows fell yesterday

Answers:
C
D
B

Practice 2:

1. Sickly:
2. Erendrake:
3. Darg:
4. Crug:
5. Eyndill:
6. Fairhead:
7. Voil:
8. Ug:

Answers:
1. Being sick
2. Messenger
3. A days work
4. Food
5. Jealousy
7. Beauty
8. Fear or dread

Thank you so much for reading! I hope you enjoyed the chapter! Stay tuned for more Entean speech!