Chapter 2

*CLATTER* Jack winced, at the sound of his staff falling to the frozen floor. He'd been so careful not to make a sound while Elsa slept, but his own fatigue was beginning to set in, leading to the clumsy stretch that knocked over the staff.

With them sealed from exhaustion, Elsa struggled to find enough energy to open her eyes. The brightness of a blurry white world made pain twinge at the front of her head. Jack heard her stirring and sprung up from his spot on the floor beside her. She attempted to sit up, as she tried to blink her surroundings in to focus. She clenched her teeth together, at the strain movement was causing."Woah," Jack caught her head, just before it slammed back down to the glacial bed she rested on. "Elsa, just lay back down. Everything's okay." Lowering her head gently to it's previous place. He carefully brushed back a few pieces of hair that he'd mussed and frosted them back into place, the way Elsa normally does herself.

Her face was even paler than it's usual alabaster complexion, making the darkened areas below her eyes look a stark black in the contrast. The delicate roseate blush, that ususally touched the apples of her cheek had faded. Her bright lips, dulled. It left the young queen's face diminished and lacking hints of happiness.

"Jack..." Elsa's voice was constrained and rather raspy,

"I'm still here, Els." He settled his hand on her shoulder lightly and began to tenderly rub his thumb on the nearest part of exposed skin. "Uhh, d-don't worry."

Elsa leant her head towards his hand.

"I'm sorry about tonight." She forced her eyes open.

Jack smirked, "It's already morning now."

"What?!" She thrust her body up and forward into a sitting position. Her head darted around, computing her surroundings, to make sure Jack wasn't mistaken. Sunlight shone onto the ice walls from outside, making the intricate details that spread across them twinkle and send glowing beams every which way. "I-I'm so sorry! I-I..." Elsa's bottom lip was trembling. She sucked in half-mouthfuls of air, holding each for a second before taking in the next; trying to force back the tears welling in her eyes.

"Els, it's fine. You really need rest, lay back down." Jack knew she was ill. Elsa always managed to power through things, always found extra strength, so to see her like this was rather alarming. So many people relied on Elsa, same as Jack and the other four guardians, but to comply with their wishes she needed to be well enough her self. People seem to forget that she is still human and one of them, not a different race, despite her spectacular powers. Using them must drain a lot of energy. Everyone needs a break and Elsa's body was desperate for one. The ailments available in the castle probably weren't sufficient, leaving her to get weaker and ultimately end up in this condition. "I'll stay with you, for now. You'll need to be okay before you go back to the kingdom."

"Thank you." Elsa took a moment to take a few breaths before continuing, "Everything's gotten so monotonous. I know it's my duty, as the queen of Arendelle to look after my people but I'm always thinking about coming back up here, to have just a little time to myself." She sighed and closed her eyes in thought. Jack took her hand and she squeezed it in acknowledgement of his company.

"I hate seeing you like this. I wish I could do more...but I can't." Jack furrowed his brow in disdain towards himself.

"You're here." Elsa looked up at him and stroked her thumb over his slender hand. "Every moment with you, it reminds me I'm not alone anymore because you understand me, Jack." his expression softened. He helped her to her feet and held her tightly against his body. She nuzzled into the side of his neck, feeling the rare warmth inside her core spark.

Knowing Elsa had spent so long isolated, Jack could empathise with her. He knew how much it broke him down every day, when he was invisible. After being detached for so long and then introduced to what was apparently normality, had changed his outlook. Fun was what his heart will always be crammed with but he needed to make room to have other emotions towards others. This was something Jack had given a lot of thought to. He said he loved Elsa, he had said it to her, face to face. Whether it was the total truth, he wasn't sure of anymore. Jack fought with his inner self to give up some space for her but hadn't yet one the battle.

He pulled away from her, "I'll fly down to the kingdom and send Kristoff to come and get you. You're still too weak to risk the journey down, even with me helping you along, so a sled will be best."

Elsa gave a nod, "I understand. Thank you for taking care of me."

"It's my pleasure." Jack smiled down to her. He hesitated for a split second before placing a kiss upon her forehead and leaving to fly down to Arendelle.