First Day

It was a typical morning for Steve. He woke up, still very tired. The last thing he wanted to do was go to school with a bunch of fake assholes. The only reason he was actually going was because of Nancy. Hell, she'd kick his ass if he didn't show up.

Steve dressed, ate breakfast, brushed his teeth, the works. As he drove over to pick up Nancy, he was mentally going through the items he had in his backpack, making sure he had everything he needed. Even when he arrived to school, he was multitasking between talking to Nancy and still mentally going through his things.

However, this was cut short when a new car he hadn't seen before pulled up in the lot. Out came a little red-headed girl, who looked pretty much angry at the world. She seemed eager to get away from the car. From the driver's side, came a guy he had never seen before. He looked around the lot, giving off the feel that he thinks he's the shit, the cool guy.

"Looks like the new kid is going to be a total ass." Steve commented to Nancy.

"Well, I really don't think you should judge people by appearance. On the outside, he might look overly confident, but he could be very nervous on the inside. Transitioning to a new school isn't easy." She replied.

Steve chuckled. "Yeah. Shy. Sure."

After walking Nancy to her first class, Steve walked to his class at the rate of a snail. While walking over, he kept hearing whispers about the new kid, mostly from the girls.

"You saw his cute little ass too, right?"

"Oh please, Martha, it was far from little in my opinion."

"His name is Billy, at least that's what I heard."

"Sharon swears he winked at her when he walked in."

Steve rolled his eyes upon hearing all of this. He felt that the guy was bad news. Then he passed a group of guys.

"No, I'm telling you. No one knows where she came from. Nobody new officially moved here except that Billy guy. I'm guessing she has relatives already living here that she's staying with."

Steve was confused. She? Who she? Where the hell was this she? He didn't give it a second thought as he walked into his class, taking the nearest empty seat. A minute later, the bell rang.

"Good morning, everyone. Welcome back. I'm Mrs. Stanley, your literature teacher. I would like to invite two people to come up to introduce themselves. First, Mr. Billy Hargrove."

Steve watched as Billy sauntered up to the front of the class. He looked pretty annoyed, but he still cooperated.

"Tell us about yourself, Billy." Mrs. Stanley said.

Billy scoffed. "There's not much to tell, darlin'."

Mrs. Stanley seemed to take offense by this, but she said nothing. "Alright. Tell us where you moved from."

"California. Can I sit now?"

Mrs. Stanley nodded and Billy went back to his seat, winking at a few girls on the way.

"Next I'd like to invite Ms. (Y/n) (l/n) up."

Steve looked around this time. This had to be the new girl the guys were talking about.

(Y/n) made her way up, not shyly but not proudly like Billy. She, too, didn't seem to like this idea of 'introduce-yourself-to-the-class' cliché, but she wasn't an ass about it.

"Hi. I'm (y/n), as you all know already and I moved here from California, too." She awkwardly said.

Mrs. Stanley smiled. "How lovely. Do you and Mr. Hargrove know each other?"

(Y/n) shook her head no.

Steve momentarily looked back at Billy. He was intrigued by (Y/n), leaning slightly forward, his full attention on her. As a matter of fact, he wasn't the only one. Alot of the other guys were like this, and some of the girls looked at her in awe.

Steve had to admit that she was very pretty, but he didn't think it was right to shamelessly gawk at her. When she went back to her seat, he noticed she was sitting two rows away from him.

As Mrs. Stanley continued to write on the chalkboard what her rules were and what to expect from the class, people were whisper-introducing themselves to Billy. Almost all the girls wanted to be his friend. Steve was sure it was happening to (Y/n), too, but when he looked, no one was speaking to her, only staring.

However, (y/n) didn't seem phased by this, since she was actually just trying to focus on the teacher.

Steve smiled to himself because he was reminded of Nancy, who was always trying to pay attention to everything, even if it didn't matter towards the actual course material.

Steve made a mental note to introduce himself to (Y/n) after class.

About halfway through the class, he noticed a paper plane fly across the room while Mrs. Stanley's back was turned, landing on (y/n)'s desk.

He looked back. Billy was smiling smugly. (Y/n) looked around and locked eyes with Steve, glaring.

Steve panicked, immediately shaking his head and pointing at Billy.

She turned to look at Billy, who was gesturing her to open the plane. Everyone around them was intrigued. (Y/n) looked Billy dead in the eye and crumbled the plane without opening it. Steve had to stop himself from laughing.

He watched as she gave the crumbled paper back to the person behind her. The paper worked it's way across the class, finally making it's way back to Billy, who looked mad. Steve longed to know what was actually in it. He could guess though.

Pretty girl like her, he probably was trying to ask her out. But by the snicker he gave her earlier, it was probably in an extremely vulgar way.

The rest of the class went by smoothly, to Steve's disappointment. When the bell rang, almost everyone bolted out of their seats, Mrs. Stanley yelling over the noise that tomorrow they were heading to the school book room to receive the class set of The Great Gatsby.

Steve raced out as well, hoping to catch (y/n) since she was one of the first to exit. But once he was actually out, she was no where in sight.

He did see Billy angrily throw the crumbled paper in a nearby trash can, however. Steve wanted to go see what was in it, but he didn't want to seem like a nosey trash-digger. Where were Mike and his little friends when he needed them?

Steve sighed and headed over to his next class, putting everything aside, focusing on dreading class and school in general. Man, this year was going to be a ride.