Chapter 39 "Forever..."

Chapter 39 Hunter's POV..

Good morning, beautiful. I say kissing Jessa's forehead. Good morning. She says barely awake. Baby, the doctor is here. He's going to give you some meds and then come back in awhile to get you for the surgery, ok? I say. Jessa rubs her eyes and holds her side in pain. Ok. She says. The doctor puts tubes in Jessa's nose and connects the tubes in her sides to a machine. This is gonna control your breathing so you're ready for the surgery. It'll breath on its own for you and after the surgery you'll be able to breath on your own again. The doctor says. Ok. Jessa says. The doctor turns on the machine and leaves. How you feeling? I ask. I'm ok, my side still hurts but I'm ok. She says. Oh God, this feels different. She says. What? I say. I can't control my breathing. She says. Just relax and don't think about it, that's what the machine is suppose to do, beautiful. I say kissing her forehead. Hunt, you know how we always say we'll love each other forever and always? She asks. Yes. I say. Well, when I go into surgery can we say something like 'forever and always'? She asks. Of course, beautiful. I think that is a great idea. I say.  The doctor comes in and tears fill my eyes knowing I could lose the love of my life while she's on that table. I kiss her lips. I love you so much, beautiful. Forever.. I say. And always. I love you, Hunt.  She says. That is the last thing she could say before the doctor wheeled her out. Tears roll down my cheeks as I fold my hands. God, please don't take her. Please don't, I need her. Please don't take her. I pray. I stand up and wipe the tears from my face. I walk into the gift shop and go to the stuffed-animal section. Ever since Jessa was a teen, she has always loved whales. I pick out a stuffed animal whale and go to the cash register. I pay for it and then go back to Jessa's room. I sit down and put the whale by Jessa's bag.

Jessa's POV..

I wake up with an aching pain in my side and stomach. Hey, beautiful, you doing ok? Hunter asks rubbing my knuckles with his thumb. I nod. Do you need anything? He asks. No, thanks for asking. I say. I got you something. He says reaching into a bag. He hands me a stuffed animal whale with a necklace that says 'forever and always'. Hunt, this is beautiful, The necklace, not the whale. I say. He laughs and helps me up the necklace on. Thank you so much. I say. You're so welcome, baby.  He says. A nurse comes in and puts medicine into my iv. You can't eat anything except ice chips until further notice. She says. Ok. I say. Cute necklace. She says. I smile and look at Hunter. Thank you. I say. Welcome. The nurse says as she leaves. Do you want some ice chips, beautiful? Hunter asks. Yes, please. I say. K, I'll be right back. He says kissing my lips. He leaves. A cop walks in. Hello, mrs. Hayes, I'm officer Langston, the officer who helped your husband find you. He says. Hello, why are you here? I say as my stomach and side feels like I'm being stabbed. We need you to testify against your father. He says.

Hunter's POV..

I walk back to Jessa's room with a cup of ice chips as I hear somebody say 'we need you to testify against your father'. I walk in and officer Langston is in the room. I sit back down next to Jessa. Officer Langston, why are you here? I ask. I need Jessa to testify against her father. He says. Jessa grabs my hand and I give her hand a small squeeze. How is she suppose to do that? I ask. I don't know, it would help a lot if she did though. He says. Ok, officer Langston, I'd love to help you and I thank you so much for what you did but I don't think Jessa will be able to testify. I say. Ok, I'll figure it out, I hope you get better soon, Jessa. He says. He leaves and Jessa looks at me. Hunt, how is he going to figure it out? She asks. I don't know, beautiful. But he'll figure it out, I know he will. I say. You want some ice chips? I ask. She nods and I hand her the cup. Thank you. She says. You're welcome, baby. I say.