Chapter 1

They say we all have a place in this world, that each and every one of us has a purpose. Well, if that's true, why do so many deaths go unnoticed? Why are so many of us treated as inferior to others? If we are all equal, we should be treated that way. Those with physical disabilities should be treated the same as those without, just with a little more care for their particular circumstance. Those with mental disabilities should be treated the same as those with physical disabilities. Those with different sexualities should be treated the same as those that are hetrosexual. If the world is as equal as everybody claims, why are certain communities treated differently?

I began questioning everything a couple of years ago.
It all started when I was 7. My sister lost a lot of weight very quickly, she was tired all of the time, she had fever after fever, infection after infection, and didn't want to eat anymore, she was no longer hungry. Eventually, after the fifth infection in a month, my parents decided they should take her to a doctor. Multiple scans and tests later, she was diagnosed with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia. She was 16 years old at the time and the pressure of being mature and looking like a runway model was hanging heavily on her shoulders. So, in order to help her escape the curious glances and comments of her peers, and to protect her from the germs in school, my sister was taken out of school for a year and was constantly taking medication and if someone was sick they weren't allowed to visit her. After that year off, she recovered quite a bit and was permitted to go back to school. Of course, she was asked a lot of questions and held back a year to make up for the one she missed, but she was alive and well on the way to recovery.

Things then, after getting better for my sister, got worse for me. I was diagnosed with 4 anxiety disorders, which I managed to live with every day. By the age of 16, I'd lost my boyfriend, a good number of friends and a potential scholarship to a good university. I was now known as the girl with the dying sister and the anxiety problems, what a way to be remembered. My mind tortured me daily and it still does.

Then a miracle happened.

It was the first day of a new semester, in AP math class. I seated myself very strategically by the door, far away from the window, somewhere that I could escape. Nobody sat by me, which I was exceptionally happy about, my social anxiety couldn't ruin math for me. Then, just as class was about to start, someone walked in, a new student. He was tall, nerdy looking and seemed out of breathe, as if he'd been running. "Hey, sorry I'm late" he said very quietly to the teacher, then glanced around the room to try and find a seat, the only free one was by me, just my luck. Our teacher seated him by me, and began class.
"Hi, I'm Isaac."
"Amélie" think, how do you talk to new people? "You're new?"
"Yeah, my dad got a job here, we're originally from Ohio."
"Ohio" stupid stupid girl, how did you mess that up
"Hey so seeing as I'm new, could you show me around for the next few days?" Was that a friend pick up line?
"Sure" I smiled, don't want to look too scary now do we.
"Thanks," he paused, "you don't say much do you?"
"Sorry" small awkward laugh.
"Nah don't be sorry it's cool, maybe you'll talk after a bit" Isaac laughed, "so does this mean we're friends?"
"I'm not very well versed in the way of friendship so I really don't know"
"Let's go with we're friends" he smiled, "you, Amélie, are my first friend here."
"Hey there friend"
And that's the story of how I made my first friend, someone who, a year later, is still my best friend. An extroverted nerdy guy. Someone who I'd shared my deepest secrets. Someone who knew everything about me. Someone who I was entirely comfortable with.