Chapter 6

The second we arrive at the hospital I practically leap out of the car, running as fast as I possibly can to the ward my mother sent me. Multiple nurses give me strange glances, although none try to stop me until I get to the security door before her room.
"Can I help you?"
"Uh, yeah, I'm looking for my sister. My mother said she'd be here."
"What's her name?"
"Alena Calvet."
"She's in room 4, go on through." And so I did, regardless of the fact that it was a sterile hospital, I still didn't feel clean, I still had to open the doors with my sleeves, and open them I did.
Her room was silent, the only sound being small beeps and sobs from my mother.
"Mom? What happened?"
"Hey," she said quietly and smiled softly, "the doctors said it's the same as before, only a  little stronger this time. They think they'll be able to treat it though."
"That's great, is she okay?"
"Yes, just resting, she fell asleep a few minutes ago, but she didn't get much sleep last night so it's probably best we leave her sleep. She was asking for you."
"She was?"
"Yes, the second I was allowed in, the first thing she said was 'wheres Amelie?', what a lovely greeting." I appreciated her trying to joke, but all I wanted was to talk to my sister.
"The doctors are sure she'll be alright?"
"They are, yes." I doubt that, there's always a chance, even if it is a small one. And even a small chance is likely. A chance is a chance after all. What if something happens to her? What if she dies now and the last time I spoke to her was yesterday, with no goodbye? Would she think of me as a bad sister? "Hey, Ami, she'll be okay."
"Yeah I guess."
"Go home or back to school, being here isn't helping you, I'll call you when she wakes up."
"I want to be here."
"No, go home, she'll understand" stubborn, no amount of arguing on my side would make her let me stay, so I give in, and go home.

Once I go home I shower, four times. Then I go to my sisters room, not touching anything, just breathing in her cherry scent, the room still smells just like her. She's still here. I have to tell myself, of course, it doesn't really help much, but, as the doctor said, she's going to be okay. And doctors don't lie.
The sound of a phone ringing snaps me out of my trail of thought, I look down, it's my phone, a call from a public phone. I answer.
"Amélie?"
"Yes? Who's this?"
"It's me, theres news on your sister."
"Mom? What happened?"
"Nothing nothing, she woke up."
"So she's alright?"
"Yes, Ami, yes, she's alright, and she's asking for you."
"I'll be right there." So there never really was a reason for me to worry.