// 20 \\

I think a few hours must have passed since we'd arrived and it was definitely past twelve o'clock by now.

The party was still going on and the music was still playing as loud as the speakers would allow. It was surprising that no one had complained but then again, I think most of the neighbourhood must have been there so there was no one around to complain.

I bumped into Sam quite a few times during the night but we never talked for long. I ended up getting distracted and walking away from him to get another drink. It was crazy that I'd never attended something like this in my entire life since my parents had been especially controlling towards me and what I was doing while I was out of the house. At least now I could kind of do whatever I wanted.

"Whoa, whoa. I think you should calm down on the drinking now." Sam took it away cautiously. He placed it on a table behind him and gently pulled me away by my arm.

"I have a right. You can't tell me what to do." I argued.

"You're right but I also have common sense, unlike Jett, to actually watch over you to make sure you don't end up in any trouble." He sat me down at a chair and then placed himself beside me.

"Just leave me be." I muttered, looking away from him.

He sighed in frustration. "Where's Jett anyway? He should be with you." He scanned the room quickly and his eyes landed on Jett and that girl. "Oh..."

I shrugged and he looked back at me with empathy.

"I'm sorry you had to see that, Ash." He said.

"I don't care." I quickly lied. "It's his life."

He was frowning. "I can tell you're lying. It sucks that you have to see that happen, anyone would be upset if they were in your shoes."

"Did you not hear me? I don't care." I said bluntly. "It wasn't like me and Jett were anything anyway. We're friends so I support his decision."

"Okay tiger, whatever you say," he smirked and took a sip of whatever he was drinking, "oh and by the way, that girl's name is Caroline just in case you wanted to know who was stealing your guy."

I froze, my eyes wide in shock. If it was possible, I was sure I felt my heart stop beating for a few seconds.

"That's impossible. It can't be her." I uttered, feeling powerless.

Sam nodded, seeming oblivious to the situation. "Yep. After she moved away her personality changed somehow, I don't know what happened exactly. Now she's like... that."

"But her dad will kill Jett if he finds them together!" I hissed at him. "What do we do?"

"What are you talking about? We can't separate them, Jett will kill us!"

I groaned frustratedly. "Ugh, what are we gonna do about this?"

"Nothing," he replied simply, "some things aren't supposed to be messed with."

"Fine, let's go look for some more stuff to drink." I rolled my eyes, sauntering off into the kitchen.

Sam followed me in, staying close to me on high alert. I don't know why he felt the need to protect me when I could easily take care of myself. Also, him being with me caused a few glares aimed towards me out of envy.

"Don't drink too much, okay?" He said, failing to be stern. "I need to go back to the guys but I'll still watch out for you."

"Okay. See you around, Sam." I waved and he smiled at me before walking away into the crowd.