Chapter 1: She Leaves for the Other Side

We understand death for the first time when he takes one whom we love - Madame de Stael

Hermione Granger was sitting on her bed. She was at Number 12 Grimmauld Place, headquarter of the Order of the Phoenix, in her shared room with Ginny Weasley. In a month she would be leaving for her 5th year at Hogwarts. She had become a Prefect along with Ginny's older brother Ronald Weasley.

There was a knock at the door. "Come in," she called.

Harry Potter and Ron came in looking somber. "Hermione, we have some news," Harry said softly.

"Your parents are dead. They had been Imperiused by the Death Eaters." Ron said.

"Wait. Are you telling me that the Order killed my parents?!" she said calmly. The calm before the storm.

"Hermione, we didn't have a choice. It was for the greater good of the wizarding world." He said.

"Get out." She hissed.

"Hermione." Harry pleaded.

"I SAID GET OUT!" she screamed.

They sighed and left.

After a while Kingsley Shacklebolt barged in, not even knocking on the door.

"Hermione... we are sorry about your parents but like Harry and Ron probably already told you, it's for the greater good of the wizarding world."

"How are my parents being dead good?!"

"At least now the Death Eaters won't have leverage over you," he replied.

Hermione sighed. "Kingsley leave... please."

He nodded and left. Hermione locked the door and started packing her essentials. She snuck downstairs and slipped out of the house when no one was looking.

Luckily, she was a short distance from The Leaky Cauldron. She walked in and went into Diagon Alley. Hermione then went into Knockturn Alley. She found a bookstore and being Hermione she went in to check it out.

It was a store filled with books on the Dark Arts. She went to the back of the store where she found a few comfy chairs. Hermione picked out a book and started to read.

A while later she heard footsteps. The person stopped in front of her. She looked up into the smirking face of Lucius Malfoy. "Well, well, well. What do we have here? The Order's Mudblood in a bookstore in Knockturn Alley.- Oh, what's this?- Reading a book about Dark Magic. Tut tut." he drawled.

"What do you want?" she asked.

"Where's your precious Order?"

"I hate the Order." She snapped.

Lucius looked surprised. "Really?" he paused for a while deep in thought. "So you loathe the Order?" When Hermione nodded, he smirked. "Well, I have a proposition for you. How would you like to join the Dark Lord?"

Hermione thought. The Death Eaters and the Dark Lord had been the one to Imperius her parents, but the Order had been the ones to kill them. What would anger the Order more than joining the Dark Lord?

"I'm in." She said.

He smirked. "Well then, let's go."

They walked out of the bookstore and side-apparated to Malfoy Manor.

They walked up to the second level. Lucius pushed a door open. "This will be your room. " He said. "I am going to go and tell the Dark Lord. If I was you I would stay up here. Family and The Dark Lord are the only ones allowed up here." She nodded and he left. She turned and went inside.

Hermione gasped. The room was at least 7 times bigger than her room back in Grimmauld Place and 3 times bigger than the Gryffindor common room. The room was pale pink on the bottom and was pale blue on the top. In the middle was a pale purple. The colors blended together perfectly. Pale pink, blue, and purple seemed to be the theme in this room. There was a queen-sized bed, a writing/study desk with an office chair, 2 sofas, 4 chairs, and a table. There was also a window seat by a window. Hermione walked over to it. She was facing the front of the manor. There was a second window exactly like the first a couple of feet away.

There were two doors leading out of the room. She suspected that one was a bathroom and the other a closet. Hermione went into the one on the right.

It was a bathroom with a bathtub, a shower, and 2 sinks. One of the sinks had some bottles around it while the one on the left (the other sink) only had a soap dispenser by it. It also had doors leading out of the bathroom.

The doors on the right were the toilets. The one on the left closer to Hermione's room lead to her closet.

She walked inside and gasped as she opened the door. It was a walk-in closet with a full-length mirror and some clothes, purses, and shoes already inside.

 Hermione turned to leave the room. She had her hand on the handle when she heard the other door open and she froze.

"Granger?!" The voice exclaimed.

Hermione took a deep breath and turned to look at him. "Malfoy." She said calmly.

"What are you doing here?" he asked cautiously.

She sighed and explained everything to him. Hermione didn't know why but she felt like she could trust him. By the time she finished she had tears in her eyes. "Granger, I'm sorry. I didn't know. But look on the bright side."

She looked at him weirdly. "There's a bright side?"

He nodded and gave her his signature Malfoy smirk. " You get to share a bathroom with me. Draco Malfoy."

She glared at him. "That's not a bright side. That's worse." She said.

Draco looked hurt, but he quickly masked his emotion. Hermione saw that but didn't say anything.

"Hey um... Malfoy? Do you think that we can... put our past behind us and... become erm... not enemies? You know since we're going to be seeing a lot of each other... if of course, the Dark Lord accepts me."

He looked surprised but smiled, yes smiled, not smirked at her. "Of course Hermione. I'm quite sure that he will accept you. You are the brightest witch of our age."

Hermione smiled at him. 'He called me Hermione...' she thought, confused before speaking.

"Erm. thanks, Malfoy."

"It's Draco," Mal-Draco replied.

"Draco." she corrected.